May 08, 2011

I Should Have Bought a Chevy

Gentle Reader: Hey, what's your good news? I don't have much so if you read this blog for light and happy escapist fare, don't read this post!!!!

I warned you.

Some of you know part of what has been happening if you follow my Twitter, Plurk or Facebook feeds. Also, Ray and Laura spread the word to their not insubstantial prayer lists. I am truly grateful for all the prayers. I could feel them and they sustained me.

It was not a good week. Even before the weekend, when it totally fell apart for me, the work week was extremely stressful. I was a raging b-yatch most of the week and had a brutally honest conversation with my boss. I'm not sure, in retrospect, it was brutal honesty or an issuance of an ultimatum along the lines of that old country song by Johnny Paycheck.

In any case, I was REALLY looking forward to the weekend as the work week came to a miserable halt.

I was engaged in a critically important act Friday evening (ordering at the McDonald's drive thru window) when my cell phone rang. I glanced at it and noted it was a prefix from the area my Dad resides in about 5 hours north of the Twin Cities and I wondered if I should answer. It was not a number programmed in my phone as the name of the person would've popped up. But, I rarely let anything keep me from food so I ordered and ignored it. After I got thru the line my Angel compelled me to listen to the message. It was from a ER attending at the IHS hospital in my Dad's town stating he was treating my Dad and stabilizing him to be moved to a hospital about 18 miles away.

My Dad has had very severe and serious cardiac issues for most of his life. Honestly, it's a miracle he's even still alive. If it were not for modern advances in cardiology he would've died decades ago. It made sense to me that he could not be treated at the IHS hospital, they don't have the capability to treat him.

So, racing up north over 6 hours later-got to the hospital at 10. I was actually pretty sanguine. It's not the first time my Dad has been rushed to an ER. But, when I saw him he looked so bad. His color was grey, he was on oxygen, he could barely catch enough breathe to speak, he looked completely wiped out. It occurred to me this could be the visit I've always dreaded-the time he doesn't leave the hospital after a few hours of observation. I pondered calling his priest; but something stopped me-maybe stupidity. I don't know. Or, I was so dang tired I couldn't think straight. I'd been up for about 17 hours at that point.

So, began 2 1/2 days of running back and forth from Dad's house to the hospital. Calling people. Interceeding on Dad's behalf so he gets decent care (read: kicking nurses in the ass who ignore his IV stopping for 10 minutes). Keeping busy when I'm not at the hospital by cleaning Dad's house. Those of you who've been thru this kind of thing know why-I don't want to sit down long enough to let the panic and terror that my last family member is going to die and I'm going to be all alone overwhelm me.

His neighbors and the town have been REALLY kind and good to me. They are the people that got him to the hospital and sat with him until I could get there and told the doctor about the symptoms they'd been seeing. God bless them.

Dad got out of the hospital today. Actually, he insisted on leaving and they can't force you to stay so I got the call to go get him and I did. He's on medication for his upper respiratory infection and he now, officially, has COPD (on top of his already existing CHF) so now he has 3 different inhalers for different situations that he gets to take. Did I also mention my Dad has a defibrillator implanted in his heart? He's had that for years as well. Also, he's a heavy smoker and never has been able to quit. As soon as I left to go get his meds he had a cigarette. Like most smokers, they think you can't tell if they light up on the bathroom with the window open. People tell me to take his cigarettes away. I say: what the hell is the point of that? I know addiction. He'll just go get some on his own. He needs to want to quit for himself. He knows he should.

I had already planned to stay until I knew he'd be ok on his own before heading back home. Swissmiss is looking in on Kaylen and Sodak while I'm gone. However, I'll be here longer than I thought as I was involved in an extremely bizarre accident on my way to Mass this morning. I don't know what to make of it-Satan trying to stop me from getting to the Church or what (but I went to Mass anyway so to hell with him). In any event my driver's side door is bent off the frame and will not close. My window was down and is now stuck, if not broke, in the bent up door and will not go up. I don't know if I can get it fixed up here as I'm probably going to need a new door and I drive an import. Today, it's a tad easier to find shops in rural areas that can repair a foreign car but that's the ENGINE, not the body. I doubt the guy who does body work out of his home shop a few miles outside of town is going to have a door for my car lying outside in the shed. So, he'll have to order it and I'll have to wait. Either that or I have to drive 5 hours home holding the door shut with one hand and praying it doesn't rain and I don't get pulled over! Heck, if Ray can do it why can't I? ROFL

In any event, it occurs to me that even though the week sucked and I felt like someone didn't get the memo that Lent ended a couple weeks ago, I'm alive, I have my health, my Dad is still here and I'm extremely blessed to know so many fine people. Amen.

Oh, and boss is cool about me having to take emergency time off this week!

Did I mention yesterday was my birthday? It was not a happy one.

Gotta go see a man about a horse...


Blogger Michael J. Bayly said...

Sorry to read about all you're going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad.



May 08, 2011 10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there a patron saint for auto repairs? Body work?

More prayers, Cath!

Tell your Dad when you're ready to come home that you will need him in the back seat to hold the door shut. That way you will get him to stay with you for a few weeks while he recuperates.

May 08, 2011 10:17 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

For auto, pray to Fr. Walter Ciszek. That's what I did when I worked in Insurance and he always came through. He'll come through for you on your end, too.

Prayers for you and your dad have been ongoing.

On the Sacraments - so..did you actually call a priest? If not, get one on it NOW as it is the Anointing of the Sick!

I know when my Mom was hospitalized a few years ago and we almost lost her, I called the priest right away and as soon as I heard he had been there, the relief was indescribable. And...her spirits were lifted, too, people tell me. (I was not able to go to her due to weather).

Prayers continue, dear friend.

My dog sends slobbers and shedding, and my new foster, well...he blinks in your general direction. (give him time, he'll probably give you kisses, too) :-)

May 08, 2011 11:06 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

get your dad an e-cig

I use the Vapor King

May 08, 2011 11:15 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...


You're right to just let him smoke.

May 09, 2011 9:07 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Prayers for you and your dad. Glad that he is home from the hospital and that you have been able to be with him.

May 09, 2011 12:19 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

The problem is today's monocoque construction of cars. Dad didn't like them and fuel economy standards are all but forcing monocoques down our throat. These vehicles are never safe. A hit at not even 5 km/h is worth a few thousand dollars in today's cars, which are intentionally weak, and require $750 water pump and timing belt replacement every other year.

Sometimes you wonder why can't cars be as durable as they used to be. Maybe some NAPA Know How?

May 09, 2011 1:00 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

As I read this post, I began to tense up and think, "Oh,nooo I hope this doesn't get any worse!"

I will pray for your dad (and you). I'd also let him smoke and I'd give him a cookie. A fine quality cookie and when ever he asks for one.

Then I'd throw some holy water on the car and beg God to fix it too. (Sometimes this plan doesn't work, but I do it anyway, BUT sometimes it does!)

Then I would sit and cry with a batch of fine quality cookies and after my big cry, I'd go to confession then mass.

That's pretty much how my life works. (Self pity, then praise, self pity, then praise.)

BTW. My birthday also sucked . Not only was it a HUGE number but my relatives who hate me decided to share it with me. After they left I began a novena for one of them and then a miracle happened just two days ago.

Novenas are game changers!

God bless you and your papa.

May 09, 2011 6:44 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

I forgot to wish you a belated, "Happy birthday!"

You wished me that on my birthday two years ago and it made my day as my birthdays generally all suck.

May 09, 2011 7:04 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Everyone: Thanks for the prayers!

May 10, 2011 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page