March 29, 2016

Father Vincent Colon Rest in Peace

In early March I was saddened to hear that Father Vincent Colon had passed away on February 28, 2016. Please, in your charity, pray for the repose of his soul and that he may be able to enjoy the Beautific Vision. In 2007, I blogged about finding his Ordination Card in a St. Andrew Missal that Ray from MN gifted me when I was Confirmed. In a fine show of hilarity, Fr. B Pedersen informed me that Fr. Colon was at my Confirmation Mass! Doh! I, then, remembered seeing Father Colon and even speaking to him at the reception afterwards. Father Colon came up to me and greeted me and congratulated me. My prior post is here here Read the comments as some of his family commented on it this year. Ray from MN produced Father's address. He was, then, residing in a retirement home for priests. What I didn't say later on the blog is that Father and I had a brief mailed written correspondence. I also didn't tell you that I mailed his ordination card to him, as I thought it should be something he should have. I didn't tell you that he mailed the card back to me and wrote on it; "Keep and Pray for Me" I kept it and have the card to this day. What is even more passing strange as I had been thinking about him in early March which would have been after he died. I did not know he died until I read about it in the "Catholic Spirit". I had a moment of sadness and am tearing up composing this post. I don't feel like I "knew" Father Colon. Do any of feel like we really "know" a priest? Does a man become a priest to be "known"? I don't think a true man with an honest calling to serve expects or wants to be known. I think a priest, like many called to serve, is content with making a small difference in someones lives.If that was true of Father Colon, if he truly only wanted to love and to serve the Lord and to lead others to Him and make a difference in someone's life, I can tell you that he made a difference in mine and, in a brief moment in time, he touched my heart. Thank you, Father Colon, and may His Angels carry you forward to His Glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page