December 04, 2011

The First Week

Gentle Reader: (all 5 of you!). Sorry, I've been scarce, but that's life, ya know?

How's the first week of the improved translation going? I'm glad you asked! lol Ok, you didn't, but it's my blog so I'm going to tell you anyway!

I'm too young to remember the changes to the Mass in the late 60's - early 70's so I'm counting this as a first. Well, not really if I count my first experience with the Novus Ordo in Latin or the 1962 (EF) Mass in Latin - that was a learning curve as well. If I did that, I can "do" this. Really. If you know the Latin, the changes make more "sense"

But, I don't like having my face in a Missal for the entire Mass. A priest during a weekly Mass advised us all, before the Mass, not to be too proud to use the Missal. He's right. It is pride. I not only want to look holier than everyone else, I don't want to look as dumb as everybody else. Now I happily bury my face in a Missal or a cheat sheet right along with everybody else.

My biggest struggle is to rememember to bring my copy of the improved Missal translation or remember to pick one up at the door before I sit down or grab one at the pew before I move way in to the middle. I'm sitting there and the Mass starts and, oh, yeah...I don't have "this one" memorized.

I have a tendency to lapse into the "old" version of the Creed in certain sections and then I'm off the cadence and oops. And, yes, this is while I'm reading it. Apparently, I have a gift for seeing words that are not really there!

I tend to treat the "And with your spirit" as a contest between me and Father! I'm ready for it Father! Bring it! And then he throws it in the greeting of peace before he starts his Homily and I shout out the old response. Or, my personal favorite blended and die off response "And ALSO...(cringe)...mumble...spirit!"

Some days I wish we'd just do the Latin. But, the improved translation (is it really NEW?) is a huge improvement. At my parish, Father has prepared us for months and he took the opportunity the Archbishop afforded us of learning the Gloria early so when we hear it again at Christmas we are ready. I think my parish is actually handling the improved English translation very well.

I think the media is trying to create drama and controversy where there isn't any. The faithful Catholics who are at Mass every Sunday, who attend daily Mass, who are engaged in the life of the parish; in other words the backbone of the Church, are handling it just fine.

We will all learn it together. Thanks Be to God.

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I was 3/4 for "And with your spirit" this week. Not bad!

December 04, 2011 4:28 PM  
Blogger FJH 3rd said...

I am quite impressed with how well both our pastor (mid 50s) and parochial vicar (late 20s) have prepared themselves. I have heard no serious mistakes, and very few stumbles.

And the pew sitters are good natured about trying to get the responses right!

December 04, 2011 5:56 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Just think how hard it is for the Chinese to understand the new English translation. What?

December 04, 2011 8:19 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

You think it's tough when you have a cheat sheet in your hand?

Try being a server and not always able to even hold the cheat sheet.

Last Monday, it was a baptism of fire for both Father and me. And it didn't go well.

Thursday, the fourth time for a different priest and the second for me. Father stopped once for 15 seconds to figure out what to say for the Memorial Acclamation after Communion. And even though I often had cruets or something else in my hands and I couldn't look at the cheat sheet, when I could, I still blew it a couple of times.

Tomorrow is another day. Who said that? Scarlet O'Hara?

December 04, 2011 8:29 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

I still haven't gotten it right...I am sooooo forgetful!

"And with your spirit, and with your spirit, and with your spirit..." I'll get it one of these days.

Good to esee you back, Miss Cathy! Hope you're loving your Advent!

December 09, 2011 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anthony said...

I hate the changes. I attend mass weekly, have a music group, am in small faith sharing group. I take issue with your "the faithful Catholics who are at mass.. .. are handling it just fine.'

Not the case for this Catholic, nor for many others. I hate it. I find it ugly, awkward and a step backwards for the liturgy. I cannot be a pray, pay and obey "faithful Catholic" when gross misconduct by our ordained and church heierarchy exists. I cannot sit quietly in the pew and "do as I am told" when I hear that Christ died for the many.

The word chalice spoken 3 times in a brief period grate against my senses. I mourn the direction that the mass has taken. A big part of it is dead to me. It is sad. So very sad.

December 13, 2011 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Scrittore said...

Bravo Anthony! Well said!
matt: 23 1-12
Acta Non Verba

December 16, 2011 4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy - I could have written your post myself - I do the exact same thing during the Creed!

Anthony - what does misconduct of the ordained hierarchy have to do with the new translation. You are comparing apples to oranges. Remember - ex opere operato - it means "from the work done" referring to the efficacy of the Sacraments deriving from the action of the Sacrament as opposed to the merits or holiness of the priest or minister.

December 17, 2011 3:00 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anthony: I'm sorry. I should not have been so sweeping in my commentary. I pray that you give the translation a chance. Please pray for me next time you attend Mass. Thank you.

December 17, 2011 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm betting this time next year, we'll be hard pressed to remember the OLD responses!

December 30, 2011 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page