September 09, 2011

The Interior Pharisee

I was sitting in the Adoration Chapel this week praying the Lord wouldn't notice me because I'm currently in a sinful state. Ok, who isn't? But, mine are mortal and I can't get to Confession until Saturday afternoon. Of course, the Lord notices everything and everyone but when I'm really bad I just hope I kind of fly under His radar and He notices the people who are even worse than me!

Which is like that Scripture passage about the smug man who gave thanks he was not as bad as everyone else, isn't it? He went home justified and full of his own self-importance but I'm sure he was smote at some point. Well, if not outright smote, probably brought down a few notches and taught a lesson. If nothing else, he lives on in notoriety in Scripture. I'm not sure I'd want to live on in notoriety in Scripture - live on as a fine example of virtue and tolerance maybe but, oh my gosh who remembers them? Aren't they boring? Ok, I guess Mary is remembered quite a bit...

Anyway, where was I?

Speaking of noticing everyone...I still can't help but take a few moments, when I'm drowning in fatal sin, to notice the attire and attitudes toward the Blessed Sacrament of those around me. So, who is worse, the chick (ME) who dresses well and looks reverent but is full of sin; or the people who roll in shorts and tank tops but may be in a State of Grace?

You can't see it though can you? Well, I can't. But He can. Which makes me think I should sit in the front row all the time in those places of honor that the Pharisees favored because maybe then I will only have my eyes on Christ and will not be able to see anyone else..Oh, wait, then there's the priest, what is he doing wrong? OH!

The point, well, really a question that I don't have an answer to, I'm trying to make here (yes, Virginia, there is a point!) is that maybe I worry too much about the exterior disposition of others and it's interfering with my relationship with Christ?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Nice, Cath.

I'm a firm believer, as you well know, of sitting up right behind the Pharisee Section (3rd-4th row) to aid me in keeping custody of my eyes.

I do have a tendency to act as a Liturgy Cop, so if I begin to find fault with the celebrant or the servers (when there are any), I attempt to concentrate on the crucifix and the tabernacle. No way can I find Fault with Him.

He's probably much too tolerant of my faults, though, I suppose. I guess we can thank His Dad for that!

September 10, 2011 7:54 AM  
Blogger The Little Way said...

One of my favorite priests ever liked to remind us that when we are at Adoration, the Lord is not thinking of our sins but only of how much He loves us.

Ray, I'm of a like mind, that sitting up front helps me avoid distraction. Only problem is that when I do that at Adoration, someone who likes to talk or pray out loud will invariably sit behind me. So at Mass it's up front and at Adoration, holding up the rear.

September 10, 2011 8:36 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Little Way:

I never heard of anybody talking or praying out loud at Adoration. Once there was a guy who would heave a great sigh, every minute or so. I don't think it was "sorrow", but maybe so. But it was hard to concentrat while he was there.

The worst was a guy who brought his breakfast (sandwich and coffee) to a 6:00 a.m. Adoration hour.

He was a Deacon, believe it or not. He later resigned from the diaconate.

The worst talkers I ever encountered were right before a Mass. I got up and went to another church for a later Mass after they wouldn't stop.

September 10, 2011 9:14 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Someone ate at Adoration?!? I find that really appalling. I've heard of people taking phone calls at Adoration so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

September 10, 2011 2:23 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

S'truth! My guess was he was filling in for someone who couldn't keep their time commitment.

A month or two later, I saw a note in the parish's bulletin that he had resigned the deaconate. I don't know if

September 10, 2011 9:29 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

"maybe I worry too much about the exterior disposition of others and it's interfering with my relationship with Christ" Amen to that, I am with you and trying to find a way out.

September 11, 2011 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page