September 23, 2011

70 x 7 or 1 x 1?

There is a lot of invective in the Catholic blogosphere and I'm sorry if I cause any of it. However, the worst invective occurs offline - what you don't see.

When I first started blogging there were some very popular bloggers who had nice photos of far off lands, some carried teddy bears, some made us laugh, some seemed very committed to the Faith and spiritual. Then, one day they are smashing Rosaries, proclaiming that the practice of homosexuality is acceptable,and you find out they have not set foot in a Catholic Church in years.

These seem like betrayals. Betrayals of trust. You let these people into your life, you read them, you followed them, you liked them, you had coffee with them, you thought you knew them.

You thought it mattered when you were one of the last people still speaking to them after they had managed to alienate everyone else. Then, one day they call you a bitch and the next day they are telling you it was meant as a joke and you wonder if they are off their meds or you are being played.

Maybe we are all being played. Maybe I am really a bitch. Maybe I am really spiritual. Maybe I am really committed to the Lord. Maybe I'm not.

In any event, the opinion of those who matter to me is still intact. I hope the Lord still (or has ever) loved me. Beyond that: whatever.

Update 9:00 a.m. September 25, 2011: This post is not all about one person. It is an amalgamation of several people.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sanctimonia said...

Look, that's going to happen. Remember, wheat and tares. You just have to keep bearing the cross, don't let these people drag you down. I've been reading your posts and I love them, and I know that you are definitely a child of God, you are one of His. Trust me, you can get through this. The Lord Jesus does love you, I know it, he knows it. And you know it. Keep to the faith, you're not alone. I will keep you in my prayers. Remember, we're never alone, we're surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, who urge us to continue on. Don't let these people, who call themselves Catholic, but then poison the name of our Church, of Jesus' body, get to you. They are not worth the time of day. Jesus, however, is worth every breath that we can make.

September 23, 2011 11:37 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

The Lord DOES love you. And nothing else matters. Thanks for what you write here at this blog! I'm glad we have become friends.

September 24, 2011 5:28 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

:-(

God loves you and so do I...

September 24, 2011 7:50 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Well, your next door neighbors don't love you; that's for dang sure!

September 24, 2011 12:28 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Likewise I am sorry for being the source of invective. My apologies. Asking your pardon, Terry

September 24, 2011 1:24 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Wow, Cathy, what happened?!????

Then again, I'e been stabbed in the back more times than I can count so yeah...I'm there, too. (Although I've mostly recovered from the last particular incident).

The Church would be GREAT if it weren't for all the people.

September 24, 2011 2:24 PM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Hey! WHO is calling you a b-word? I'm sad that people are so disappointing. I'm so happy to have met you and I thank you for sharing your thoughts on your blog. I always appreciate your posts and your prayers. P.S. I go to church every Sunday (at least) and I haven't abused any rosaries lately. :)

September 25, 2011 6:58 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks everyone. The post is not all about one particular person - several people and I just posted that disclaimer.

Ray: LOL

September 25, 2011 9:03 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

I'm going to be in your neighborhood shortly. Need to grab some flowers and go to Abp. Ireland's grave as it's the anniversary of his death.

September 25, 2011 2:52 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Nan: Stop over!

September 25, 2011 3:17 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

I voted again for you because it just seemed like the right thing to do.

September 26, 2011 1:16 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

In what category? "Best Blog by a Heretic"? Oh, wait, I'm not in that one...

September 26, 2011 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page