September 16, 2011

1 Peter 5:8 or Luke 12:15?

Another prominent priest is being challenged by his Bishop and, thus far, it's not clear that this priest is going to submit to his Bishop's authority.

It's enough to make one wonder what is going on? Or, is what is going on necessarily bad? In any case, be careful in assuming that priest's who have these dynamic ministries have not let the attention they get from these high profile ministries take over their lives. Their lives are supposed to be for Christ and I'm not saying they are not. However, there may have come a point where they lost sight of their original mission - you know; the one when they were ordained and vowed obedience to their local authority as Christ's representatives upon Earth?

There is something bewitching in media attention. Don't fool yourself, BLOGGERS, you get and enjoy a certain amount of media attention too. I know I have had media attention and interviews since I started the blog.

My original intent at starting this blog was not for attention, however, I will not lie to you and say there have never been times I've enjoyed it.

Part of the reason for my silences and hiatuses is I need to keep the perspective. The blog is not life. It's not, and should not be, my exclusive outlet for relating with Christ and bringing His truth to others.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Back in the 50s, Bishop Sheen had a great deal of trouble with Cardinal Spellman of NY, I think it was.

September 18, 2011 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Lina said...

You've articulated in this post much better than I've been able, in conversations with friends, my uneasiness with "celebrity priests". I don't know if the priest in question is guilty or not - I certainly hope he's innocent - but the simple fact that yet another famous, beloved priest is being accused makes me that much more thankful for my simple, hardworking, definitely not charismatic or famous parish priest. He's not a great preacher, but he says what needs to be heard; he's not brilliant, but he knows the truth and knows right from wrong; and he's not been given any famous, attention-grabbing mission, but he's humble and he works his fingers to the bone for his parish. We are very blessed.

September 19, 2011 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Lady.Rosary said...

I think the popularity and fame can often confuse and lead those who aren't focused enough to the wrong path. But maybe, they just need to be reminded that blogs and other media are only channels that should be maximized for a greater purpose because if not, they can destroy more than build our faith.

September 20, 2011 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page