May 10, 2011

Carrying the Load

My boss called today. She left an urgent message on my cell phone. Some of you probably know that I had to take this week off due to family emergency. The time off was unexpected, but, gosh, it happens.

I've been cranky lately because I'm starting to think I'm the jackass carrying the load and the load is my boss. I've figured out lately that she doesn't know much of anything about our job, our business or jack. In fact, in the last couple of weeks, I challenged myself to come up with one work product that she'd actually produced and couldn't think of anything that I had not done for her or that she had not farmed out to someoene else.

She told me today this situation (meaning me at Dad's house keeping an eye on him after his hospitalization) is one that I can (should?) be able to work thru. I was not happy to hear this. I have limited access to the systems at work when I work remotely like this and in any case her statement goes to my ongoing suspicion (that I've tried to pin her down on before but she denied) that any time off I try to take that is more than a couple of days is not going to work. I'm either going to have the time off denied or I'll be expected to "work" during my vacation by checking in and solving the crises that my boss can't-which in essence is most of them.

Many at work have told me I should have her job.I wish I did because then I'd be paid more. I should be getting at least twice what I made now since I'm doing all the work and I'm making the majority of our product decisions because she can't.

I don't know...what brand of beer did that Jet Blue stew grab again?

Even though it's the Easter Season, I've been praying the 4th Sorrowful Mystery a lot lately. I should just open a restaurant in a one donkey town with my aunt. She's been asking me to do that with her for years.

Today, at my Dad's house a finch crashed into his glass living room window. The poor little guy was stunned but survived it. I feel like that was my life in a nutshell. Flying along, everything looks great and wide open and then boom! and you are lying stunned on the ground trying to pick yourself back up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Some days you're the bug, some days your the windshield. Can you go to your boss' superior??

May 10, 2011 11:45 PM  
Blogger RJW said...

We can get a donkey here.

May 11, 2011 9:51 AM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Will pray for you. I too am facing a huge job status change brought about by time off I needed due to my father's illness. In the end when we stand before God all these things will be forgotten except that you suffered for His sake. He will reward you!

May 11, 2011 1:31 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Your analogy made me laugh!

RJW: Thanks!

Sanctus: Will pray for you.

May 12, 2011 9:08 AM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Cathy - I used to work in a windshield replacement shop - every day I was the bug!

May 12, 2011 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page