March 06, 2011

I Love You But....

Recently, an Anonymous commenter criticized me for showing a lack of charity and civility. Sometimes, it’s true that I lack both. I don’t deny it. I don’t know what Anonymous’ motivations were but I’ve found in the 5+ years I’ve been blogging that Anonymous commenters who are of the more liberal variety tend to come out and comment on my posts that criticize the “progressive” elements in the Church.

Sometimes progressives come after you by reminding you of something Jesus said or a Pope said. The magic of their approach is they are not always using quotes incorrectly or out of context (and they know it); the magic is they count on you “falling for it” You, lover of Patristics, Scripture and Tradition, may feel guilty and “back off” and “shut up”. They hope so.

Individuals who usually can’t be bothered to read the Catechism or encyclicals in their entiriety or in context are more than happy to “whip it out” to try and shut you down.

I am convinced that one of the key reasons that the Catholic Church fell so far afield in the 60s and 70s is the progressives were able to leverage the faithfuls respect for the priesthood and submission to authority and implement all kinds of wackiness by essentially hiding behind their credentials and their office.

I’m all about respecting the office of the priesthood-just like I respect the office of the President of the United States. Neither of which means I don’t recognize that the President and a Priest can be as full of sin and BS as I am.

But, it was not always so. There was a time, I believe, in the not so distant past where all priests were held up on pedastals. They could do no wrong. Lay people loved and honored them. This was and is not a bad thing. However, the starry your eyes, the blinder your vision. As the people held the office in high esteem, progressive priests abused their office and implemented all kinds of liturgical and scriptural abuses right under the noses of a submissive and adoring faithful.

I can’t even count the number of times an elderly Catholic, when they talk to me about the post Vatican II era in the US, will say “I never thought it would go that far” or “We thought all the priests wanted what was best for us” or “One day we came to Church and they’d destroyed the entire Sanctuary” It’s like they just lived thru Armageddon. They are stunned. They still can’t believe it happened.

I don’t mean to just pick on priests. Lay people are really much more responsible than priests ever were. Laity outnumber priests. The laity either ignored what was going on, didn’t believe what was going on (see above), pushed priests to implement their agenda, or walked all over the priests and did it themselves.

In any case, we are all responsible because we let it happen.

I recognize that I’m not perfect. I don’t think I’ve ever claimed on this blog to be a great person or a future saint with an incorrupt corpse. I think I prove every day how sinful and bad I really am.

However, I have no intention of shutting up just because someone points out something about myself that I already knew. So noted.Thanks. Peace be with you.

You either love the Faith and the Church or you don’t. You either want to fight for it or you don’t. I intend to fight. I was reading a few hours ago a local dissident who said “one of the things she loves about the Catholic Church is the social justice teaching…” One of the things? Only one? Seriously, when people say things like this I pretty much know that IS the only thing they love about the Catholic Church-their misguided sense of what the social justice teaching really is.

I’m not married so help me out married folks..when you get married, when you commit to spending the rest of your life with someone, do you only love ONE thing about them? If you pick one or only a few things to love do you really expect the relationship to last? Yeah. I didn’t think so.

The “change the faith” folks are like the people who get married fully intending and believing that they can change all the things they don’t love in their spouse. I don’t think that works. Do you?

12 Comments:

Blogger ignorant redneck said...

it's amazing, how often you impress me.

March 06, 2011 6:06 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

Love it!

March 06, 2011 6:41 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 06, 2011 6:58 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

The "progressive" element are all about the here-and-now. They don't understand that nothing is random in the Church, that everything from the liturgy to the fixtures (Tabernacle, altar, etc.) all represent supernatural truths. But they're too busy waving their recycled paper protest signs to worry about that.

Cathy - you keep doing what you're doing. God doesn't ask that we be perfect and succesful, only that we try.

March 06, 2011 6:59 PM  
Blogger Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

Lock and load Cathy! We are with you.

March 06, 2011 7:53 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Progressives are big whiners - seriously. Don't worry and keep doing what you are doing.

March 06, 2011 8:36 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Cathy, just continue clinging to your guns and religion.

Jesus loves you even if progressive don't.

March 06, 2011 10:06 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Amen!

March 06, 2011 11:02 PM  
Blogger Mary Rose M. said...

You keep on truckin', Cathy!

And whoever "anonymous" is, there's this little thing called Canon Law, which among other things, gives laity the right to call out error when they see it.

Code of Canon Law, Book II The People of God Liber II. De Populo Dei, Part I The Christian Faithful, Title I The Obligations and Rights of All the Christian Faithful:

Can. 212 §1. Conscious of their own responsibility, the Christian faithful are bound to follow with Christian obedience those things which the sacred pastors, inasmuch as they represent Christ, declare as teachers of the faith or establish as rulers of the Church.

§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires.

§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.


Seeing that many Catholics do not have access to a great number of pastors, the Internet has allowed us to express our concerns in ways that expedite the process.

As for "tone," many Catholics have reached the tipping point with liturgical abuses and wackiness that appear under the guise of "spirituality." Sometimes a two-by-four is needed to make the point. I agree with Cathy. I'm here to fight for the Church and the Magisterium.

March 07, 2011 5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All good comments to ponder here. Thank you. (Nothing like a good progressive comment to stimulate com-box activity, right?)

As we approach Lent, I hope and pray that I/we can be more civil to one another as collective members of the one, big, holy, Roman Catholic Church.

Blessings to all.

March 07, 2011 11:12 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: Peace be with you. I pray, too, that I can quit being so cranky and remember and share the joy of being Catholic with my readers.

March 07, 2011 11:29 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

Cathy please continue to share the joy of being a cranky Cathy-lic with us! We like your cranky Cathy posts, they contain annoying truths.

March 07, 2011 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page