February 16, 2011

Mulieris Soontobe Extinctus

Deep Curtsy to Angela Messenger. I stole the post title from her latest recap of the local parish meeting wherein the "double-knit dinosaurs" try to launch a takeover-or maybe just further perpetuate their mistakes? In any event, you should read Angela's post. If you don't know Angela, she's a long-time blogger and online Catholic-going WAY back to Father Z's Compuserve boards. She's also one of the kindest Catholics online and I think one of like 3 blogging Canadian Catholics that aren't prog wackos.

In any event, Angela's post got me thinking (yeah, I know what are the odds?). In the Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis, some "listening sessions" and "guides to" and "introductions to" (Hey, New Missal, I'm SO happy to meet you!) the Revised Missal are starting to pop up. The Revised Missal will be, allegedly, (I know this town) used at all Masses starting the First Sunday of Advent in 2011. Me, in my scepticism, am taking bets on how many local parishes will just continue to do whatever the heck they want. But, you can best believe those same parishes will have a "listening session".

Be careful and keep a discerning ear open when you attend these sessions. If the point of the session is to talk about ways to subvert and get around the New Missal, get up and yell "to hell with you" and walk out! Ok, don't do that, (but, if you do send me the video!) but I'd think about seriously informing the Chancery of your concern. In writing and with charity. I was at _____ here__given by _____ and the people leading it were saying things that concerned me (give specific examples). If the people in the audience are the ones saying things that concern you, that's not the same thing as the people leading it (unless people leading it are going along with what the wackos are saying).

Futhermore, if the point of the session is some kind of gripe or listening session wherein it seems the group is under the impression that the Revised Missal is now under review for a public vote and comment period for lay people, uh-WRONG! The Revised Missal is done. It is what it is. I've said it before and I'll say it again-the Catholic Church is NOT a democracy. We, the lay people, need to trust that our Bishops approved and implemented what is right. I know there are some folks who have reservations about parts of the translation. They are free to think that, but it's done. It is what it is. No public comment period. No vote. Learn it. Use it. Get used to it.

Even more self-deceived are the sessions (trust me, they will happen) where a recorder will submit the comments received by the laity to the Chancery or to the Vatican in the vain hope that the Supreme Pontiff is going to consult the runes, waive a rain stick, and pronounce that your individual changes will now be implemented and thus it will not even be "We are Church" it will "I am Church" as we all go to our own side altars and celebrate our own mass.

I learn more and more every day why Archbishop Nienstedt chose his motto as "That They All May Be One" A lofty goal when you have an Archdiocese with a sizeable population whose motto is: "that they all may do as I want"

17 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm anticipating (with much glee) the "cluster you-know-what" this is going to end up being.

Thankfully the little church we attend with a darling 80+ year old priest will do the right thing.

P.S. I would never wear polyester. Hubby has a standing order to shoot me if I ever come home with a lime green top stitched pants suit. You know the one I'm talking about with checked pants as well as solid so you have more "options." Bleh!!!

February 16, 2011 10:44 AM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Sterling post Cathy!(and I am not saying that because you linked to me LOL!)

February 16, 2011 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy -

In my Diocese (Cleveland), our good Bishop Lennon seems to be quietly preparing us by telling us about some of the changes little by little in his column in the Diocesan paper. Our own excellent pastor has already asked the organist to start using the new "Gloria" (which I love), and is using his column in our bulletin to fill us in on some of these things, such as the new responses.

It's helpful to see it in print, and sometimes it seems that the priests have more to learn than we do. Our pastor has also promised to supply us with cards that have the liturgical changes that will be kept in the pews until we are accustomed to everything.

Both Bishop Lennon and our pastor seem to be conscientously playing by the rules (fine by me), and they seem concerned that we know the reasons for the changes additionally, which I appreciate.

We haven't heard anything about meetings about the changes, but that may be coming after the weather breaks.

Susan from Akron

February 16, 2011 12:40 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

By now Fr. Erickson must know where the...trouble spots are. I'm sure he'll help them through the changes.

February 16, 2011 8:14 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Couple things.

One, I have been informed that "revised missal" will be called, just like in the olden days, the "Roman Missal." I wonder how many months they took to debate that.

Two, I see you let your hair grow longer. I like long hair (maybe cuz I don't have any). I suppose it takes you an extra half hour to get read for work and Mass now, huh?

OK, three things.

John Sondag, "He who can't be refused", Director of Religious Education {the best such program in the archdiocese} at St. Helena's parish in south Minneapolis worked with the archdiocese and got Father John Paul Erickson, Director of Worship for the arch, to give a two session 90 minute seminar on the new "Roman Missal." The first session was last Friday and the next will be this coming Friday from 7:30 to 9:00. You can just show up; free will offering.

I suppose there must have been 75-100 there last Friday. There wasn't time for much discussion but the issue of "extemporizing priests" did come up. Fr. Erickson said that the subject of this Summer's archdiocesan clerical retreat will be the Roman Missal and everybody should be on the same page of the (new) hymnal.

He was reminded by someone who was of the opinion that since for 40 years priests have been making it up and who wondered what will be done to stop that. Fr. Erickson ruefully admitted that it will be a difficult task. There are many theologians and other "experts" saying that it is a bad translation

A follow up questioner wondered what was so difficult about asking priests to read something in English. They don't need to memorize it. It will be right there in front of them.

The question will probably come up again this coming Friday. I'm not confident that extemporizing priests will disappear after the First Sunday of Advent this November.

I like the EF Mass in Latin, sometimes. I'd prefer it better if the there were two readings (OT and NT) and all of them were in English.

Maybe my fave is to have the Mass in English with the congregation saying the Confiteor, Gloria, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation, Pater Noster and Agnus Dei in Latin.

But one of Latin's most important advantage is that since very few priests in the old days could do more than read it, they weren't able to extemporize. They had to follow the Roman Missal.

February 16, 2011 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Stephen said...

Your post underlines the tensions in our Church between the "progressive" elements and those who are faithful to the traditions that have held us together for the past 2,000 years.

I digress from this universal thought to a concrete example I observed in the latest issue of the St. Thomas University Magazine that leaves me seeing red. In the issue is a list for students to contemplate - "21 things to do before you graduate". It starts out at #1 with having a sandwich at the Binz Refectory. At #18, just before "Kissing a fellow Tommie under the Arches, comes the suggestion to grow in faith by "Attending a religious event", urging students to "(Explore) the different faiths and beliefs that come together on campus (which) can help you to determine where you came from, who you are, and what you want to be."

Yikes! Thomas Acquinas and Archbishop Ireland are certainly rolling over in their graves.

I would like to ask the magazine editor if it would be advisable to attend more than one religious event, and if it might be more weighted if the event was a Mass or a memorial service or a prayer vigil for peace in front of a grove of trees.

I am sure that the article and the suggestion was put forward with good intentions, but it is loaded with relativism and a lack of reverence and respect for the uniquely graced character of the Roman Catholic faith and it's role in university life and in the salvation of the world.

As an alumnus I mourn the loss of reverence and understanding of the Faith, as promoted in the media image of STU. I know some students there and I think that they too are disappointed with the "progressive" administration positions which seem to promote the spineless wish that "we would all just get along". I just can't find the scriptural reference for that.


Forgive the rant, but I am curious if anyone else out there has a viewpoint to share on this.

February 16, 2011 9:08 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Ray wrote: But one of Latin's most important advantage is that since very few priests in the old days could do more than read it, they weren't able to extemporize. They had to follow the Roman Missal.

That's it in a nutshell! I always wondered about that. Also there seemed to be respect for authority in those days. The parishioners may not have been theologians back in the day but at least Mass was Mass was Mass wherever you went.

February 16, 2011 9:38 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Susan: Good news!
Nan: Oh, yes, Fr Erickson is well aware of what goes on and is very knowledgeable.
Ray: I wonder if that retreat is mandatory. I also wonder if some priests will read past the cover-wait, I'm supposed to OPEN this? Yes, my hair is high maintenance. I have trouble getting a veil over it!
Angela: I liked Ray's comment too.
Stephen: UST has come a long WAY in the last 20 years but is it yet the strong and unashamed Catholic University that many of us dream it could be? No. When they took Albertus Magnus name off the one building I despaired.

February 17, 2011 12:25 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

RE: "Mandatory" Retreat?

I understand that it gets very good attendance and even the dissidents show up. One of them schmoozes the others as if he thinks our next archbishop (God grant JCN a long life) will be elected by the priests.

I think some real work gets done there.

I imagine the archdiocese picks up the tab. Don't know if it is a cash bar event.

February 17, 2011 6:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Bar?! Is it at Fern's? Or somewhere else you can spy on from a big arborvitae?

February 17, 2011 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Stephen said...

Just curious, Cathy. What does STU call Albertus Magnus Hall now?

February 17, 2011 8:16 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I did a quick search for my disguise case and couldn't find it. Ever since the SoStS pranced off into the distance a few years ago, I hadn't had need of it. I might have to make another kit up.

February 17, 2011 8:56 PM  
Blogger Fr. V said...

"If the point of the session is to talk about ways to subvert and get around the New Missal, get up and yell "to hell with you" and walk out! Ok, don't do that, (but, if you do send me the video!)"

ROFL

Please, if anyone should, share it.

February 19, 2011 7:26 AM  
Blogger Fr. V said...

"If the point of the session is to talk about ways to subvert and get around the New Missal, get up and yell "to hell with you" and walk out! Ok, don't do that, (but, if you do send me the video!)"

ROFL

Please, if anyone should, share it.

February 19, 2011 7:27 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Stephen:
UST renamed Albertus Magnus the John Roach Center.

February 22, 2011 12:23 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

swissy: I could have fun with that on so many levels...but I'm refraining!

February 23, 2011 7:32 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Cathy, I hear you :)
Part of the reason AB was renamed is because UST built several science buildings on the seminary grounds and no longer needed Albertus Magnus, the old science building, on the main campus. However, none of the new science buildings were named after Albertus Magnus :(

February 24, 2011 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page