February 06, 2011

Keep the Joy, Leave the Suffering

Gentle Reader:

I live!!!! It's been a tough month. I had a huge project at work that involved long hours of cranky stress. No, I did not kill anyone that I work with and, no, I did not grab a Blue Moon, deploy a chute, yell some choice words and quit!

Then, this week, a cold descended. I'm calling in the Revenge of St. Blase since I neglected to get my throat blessed this year, first time in 3 years!, and here comes the illness. Feeling somewhat better today thought my singing voice will take a while to recover! As I generally sing like a nasal, scratchy, baritone, my vocal skills will not be missed by many.On the contrary, let us now give thanks that I am unable to vocalize at all. Praise Jesus!

I did not just check out of rehab. Terry, you know they never let you out on Friday! Doh! Just before the big party evening, are you kidding? Just ask LarryD!

The other day it finally dawned on me that, despite consecrating each day to the Sacred Heart of Jesus thru the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I'm happier when there is more joy to offer to Jesus than suffering. Lord, here's my joy, you can keep my suffering. Really, please, can you just keep it all to your self?

Sounds terrible and selfish doesn't it? Yet, it's true. How many of us, including me, are happy watching the Lord suffer for us but unhappy when we are suffering for the Lord?

Can we call this love? Is true love a one way street? Would you suffer, willingly, for someone you really love? You should. I should. But, how many of us do? I know I don't.

7 Comments:

Anonymous amanda said...

Hi Cathy, I'm normally just a lurker but have really missed your presence. I'm glad you're alive!

What a hard question you've posed. I've never thought to seek happiness is suffering, or even when giving my suffering back up to God. I only count down to when it will all be over!

God Bless you

February 06, 2011 6:24 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Hope you feel better soon! Fresh buns at my place - come on over and try some! (see photo on blog)

February 06, 2011 7:33 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Angela is always pushing her thang!

Nice new photo hon! One million kisses!

February 06, 2011 9:35 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

So glad your feeling better. It's been a long "cold" Winter! Hope the suffering is over!

February 06, 2011 10:35 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

Cathy - missed you at the party. Once again, Terry drank all the gin, and Angela twisted an ankle while doing the Hustle. It was fun - sorry you couldn't be there.

Take Zicam for that cold - it'll knock it out in no time.

February 06, 2011 11:04 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Throat blessing? A strange thought from my religious background, but seems worth a try--bet you don't skip again!

And suffering? Sheesh! I'm sometimes given to wondering if God couldn't have set things up a bit better. I mean, if I set up a terrarium with a turtle in it, I feel an obligation to make his/her little life pretty comfortable, not "perfect" him through suffereing...what happened here, with all life's travails? It may be the foremost question I have for God when I get the chance to get some direct feedback (you know, not that handwriting on the wall in unknown language...). C.

February 09, 2011 12:40 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Sometimes, methinks thou art a budding mystic.

February 09, 2011 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page