February 15, 2011

Circle of Friends

There is a lot of ink spilled, trees felled, minutes used, voices exhausted, about gay Catholics. Yes, gay Catholics exist. They walk among us. They are probably worshipping right next to you.

Unlike some I don’t freak out about it. So what? Who cares?

I don’t care anymore about the state of a gay Catholics soul than I care about anyone else. They are not, in my opinion (and I know this puts me in a minority) any more or less capable than being morally or mortally sinful than anyone else.

Gay Catholics are not, nor should they be, some kind of protected subclass of sinners.

We are all surrounded by sin and temptation.

I’m a firm believer that who you surround yourself with, who you are friends with, who you hang out with impacts your behavior. It’s tough to be a saint when you deliberately surround yourself with sinners.

If you are person who struggles with same sex attraction and you only associate with people who think it’s desirable to sleep with as many people as possible then I defy anyone to remain celibate in that kind of environment. The same environment may hold for those who do not suffer from same sex attraction. If you associate with your hetero buddies who all sit around and talk about what forms of birth control are best to avoid pregnancy and what kind of action you are likely to get when you go out to the club every weekend, you may have challenges remaining true to your state in life in that kind of environment. Who wants to look “uncool” and “out of touch” around your buddies?

Contrary to popular belief, I don’t believe that homosexual persons are predisposed to be any more licentious than any one else. Again, I believe it’s who and what you surround yourself with that impacts your behavior.

The Truth is that, outside of the married state (which is currently defined as one man one woman-and if you are waiting for the Catholic Church to define it as anything other than that you’ll be waiting for Hell to cease to exist) sexual relations are mortally sinful. Period. If you’ve engaged in that activity, gay or straight, blue state, red state, you need to repent, Confess your sin, resolve to never do it again and receive Absolution. The Sacrament of Confession is for everyone, but not everyone will receive it. Hmmm..pro multis anyone?

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Cathy, I firmly agree with you. It doesn't matter what our besetting sins are, we are all in need of the mercy of Christ and the support of the body of Christ.

And confession is a powerful instrument, folks! There are certain sins that have never re-appeared since my first confession. Now, granted, my first confession was only about three years ago and I'm sure those sins are waiting in the wings, but still... three years! And I'm sure that the only way to keep those sins offstage is regular confession.

Bede

February 15, 2011 7:55 AM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Great post!

February 16, 2011 12:33 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Bede: What's your secret? I keep Confessing the same garbage over and over. I seem to never learn. I think sometimes my Confessor already knows what I'm going to say before I even open my mouth!

Hi Angela!

February 17, 2011 12:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

No, secret, it's strictly the grace of God! And trust me, there are plenty of other sins that my confessor must think are on instant playback.

February 17, 2011 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page