December 04, 2010

Cranky Trifecta

1) Reportedly, the Archdiocese has spent an amount in the high 5 figures on priestly vestments. This is gossip, at this point, as I've seen nothing official. However, I'll tell you that I'm thrilled, if this story is true, as the state of vestments of many priests is nothing short of shabby. If this story is true I'm going to take great pleasure, if it happens, in observing the local priests who wear "whatever street clothes they showed up in and those wacky, groovy stoles" be forced to wear something that, OMG, actually looks priestly and like something someone would wear who wants to convey to the Faithful the seriousness and solmenity of the Sacred Mysteries.

2) The local Native American parish, which has always enjoyed a special status, was listed in the recent documentation released to all parishes on the decisions of the Strategic Task Force to merge many parishes. Actually, having read the official documentation when it was released (not the newspaper's version) it said "status to be determined" which clearly indicates to me that the parish was under some of kind of review. This never was a large parish and quite frankly it's existance is largely due to one priest who is no "spring chicken" and not the most, uh, traditional pastor around. It's possible he's being re-assigned, it's possible he's retiring, it's possible he's decided to wreckovate some more parishes. I don't know, and I trust the Archdiocese to make the right decision. I think Native Americans are fully able to be Catholic every Sunday in any parish. I see this in action whenever I attend Mass on the Reservation-Natives and Whites go to the same church. Amen. But, some folks appear to have only actually read the Task Force recommendations yesterday. These are some of the same people who are happily collecting a paycheck from the Archdiocese, yet seem to be chronically unable to resist griping..which brings me to....

3) The closure of the Archdiocesan Pension Fund for laypeople. Apparently, one of the last large local employer holdouts has finally done what just about every other large employer has done and moved away from traditional pensions to funds (like 401K or Roth IRA) that require a little more investment by the employee and the payout is contingent on how much and how long the employee has contributed. In other words, you may not be guaranteed an annual or montly payout for as long as you live after you retire. Pensions are in major trouble. They are largely underfunded (read: not enough money to pay out as retirees are living longer and the employee pool may be smaller) and the PBGC (the governement bail out fund) has been in serious trouble for at least a decade. Some people want to twist this into some kind of evidence that the Church is not practicing "social justice" and wah, wah, wah..how is it social justice to payout what you don't have? Oh, yeah, that's the Democrat version of social justice.

Any similarities in this post to the rantings of a pastor in Bloomington are entirely coincidental. However, I will continue and point out that is it not the greatest evidence of the true social justice of this Archdiocese that certain pastors continue to have jobs and get paychecks from the Archdiocese in spite of continuing to try and undermine it? NO private sector or government company that I know of would continue to put up with this "from the inside" griping and undermining by an employee-if that isn't carrying the dead weight in the erroneous misapplication of "social justice" I don't know what is. I know I just phrased the sacramental priesthood as a job, not a calling, because honestly, that's how these troublemakers see it. Somewhere along the line they forgot that their true job is to bring others to Christ and celebrate His Sacraments for the Faithful.

/end cranky

6 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Oh, how I want to name names. But all my information is "second hand." Maybe I should join that parish, read his bulletin whines and listen to his extemporaneous interpretations of the GIRM.

I haven't worn my Liturgy Cop getup for some time now.

Speaking of liturgy cop, I did learn something new the other day. There is a "weasel clause" i the GIRM authorizing Some of those extemporaneous presentations, particularly at the Agnus Dei.

I'm sure that's where all the V2 priests got the idea that they can do it anyplace in the Mass.

December 04, 2010 5:32 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Ordinarly, sacred vessels, vestments and sacred art are usually paid out on a separate budget from any other capital expense or property needs, and is always separate from employee compensation and benefits. Very often such items are obtained through the generosity of donors.

December 04, 2010 10:33 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Cathy, my understanding is that they have a young priest at the mission but whether he's alone or in addition I don't know; Fr. Gj. went to his last posting.

December 04, 2010 11:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Nan: I think another priest has been there lately but they've had a long time pastor who is still around.

Terry: I agree but the erroneous info I heard/read is making is sound like the Archdiocese is spending the $$$$$ which is why I'm suspicious of it. But, I spun it to be a good rumor because some priests could use some new clothes and a swift kick....ok, be charitable Cath.

Ray: I know! What happened to your 365 parishes in 3 months dealie? LJ!

December 05, 2010 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope these vestements are beautiful and reverant and appropriate, and not more of the same. As for the pension fund, why would you be happy to see anyones pension stripped from them? You must not have one yourself.

December 05, 2010 4:09 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: I'm not happy but lack of pension plans is a reality for almost everyone these days. I will never get one. In fact, I don't know anyone that is not already retired that is going to have a pension when they do retire.

December 06, 2010 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page