November 17, 2010

Legislating Nice

I find it interesting that there is talk of the need for anti-bullying amendment for persons who identify themselves as LGBT. Really? We need to legislate that? Shouldn’t teachers, parents, or other people in charge just say “Knock it off” and “If you don’t quit, you can sit in detention after school for the next week (do schools even have detention anymore? Seriously. Or, was that outlawed at some point?) and write and read before the class a 200 word essay on ‘Respecting Others’”! I know-even talking about this kind of discipline is probably totally wrong of me. But, hey, I never sat in a car seat as a child and miraculously managed to live! Is the legislation going to help the teachers who refuse to get involved, grow a spine? No. It’s a case for litigation. Now, if you can prove you were bullied and it violated the “anti-bullying” statute you can sue somebody or something-like an institution.

I wonder if there is a lookback limit built into any of this? If someone can go back decades and sue an Archdiocese for priest sex abuse, can I go back 24+ years and sue the Minneapolis School District for the bullying I endured as the teachers looked the other way? Or, is this anti-bullying amendment really only applicable to LGBT so the rest of us can just forget about it? If so, where’s the “inclusion”?

When I was in school, there were a couple kids in our classes who attempted suicide. They were not bullied (and I mean that-they weren’t), they were “messed up”. I’m not belittling the tragedy of young people committing suicide, but no amount of legislating is going to lesson the internal turmoil that often drives people to kill, or otherwise harm, themselves. Just because cocaine is illegal, does that mean kids are going to quit inhaling aerosols?

If people really want to bully someone-no statute is going to stop them. If parents and teacher’s refuse to intercede-no statute is going to stop a bully. At what point, do parents or guardians stop teaching their kids that emotionally, verbally or physically tormenting another person is not acceptable?

The real problem is that there walk among us people who have never, and never will, give a d--- about anyone but themselves and no amount of legislation is going to force them to be better people.

You can’t force people to treat others with dignity and respect by passing a law that basically says “Hey, kids, play nice and share your toys!” I think if everything we need to know is not taught in Kindergarden we are hosed.

I have no solution to the problem of bullying and I, honestly, challenge anyone to come up with one. However, I seriously doubt a law is going to end bullying as we know it. It will, however, make some people a pile of $.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...I seriously doubt a law is going to end bullying as we know it."

And I seriously doubt a law is going to end abortion as we know it.

November 17, 2010 4:19 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

I think this was the kinda crap that caused Satan to get thrown out of heaven. Yeah, sure he was full of pride but I doubt that he was a single issue offender.

When he fell, I assume he took the act of bullying with him. Cruelty is cruelty and some things never change. This will go on until the end of this age.

I have noticed more "Higher up's" are becoming bullys and these offenders use legistation and or other means or measures to achieve their end goals. (Obama, airport screening rules etc..)But it's still bullying.

what causes one person to care about others but yet another person may not give a crap at all about others. What makes the difference. I don't know.

November 17, 2010 5:20 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

What doesn't kill you makes you tougher or something.

I'm against it - any new law against bullying that is.

I wasn't bullied at school or in the neighborhood - it was a tough neighborhood too - my brother took care of the bullying stuff at home - and my parents weren't very nice either. Worked for me. LOL!

November 17, 2010 6:25 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 17, 2010 7:01 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Great post, as usual, Cath!

I wasn't bullied in grade school. And I was overweight and had buck teeth. And I never saw bullying.

I think it is a symptom of the breakdown of the family, with no father, or multiple fathers and boyfriends, etc.

I can remember in the Army in basic training where you are under a lot of pressure, I'm embarrassed to admit that I ridiculed a fellow "cruit" a few times for his "I don't understand, sir" excuses.

November 17, 2010 7:01 PM

November 17, 2010 7:02 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Don't worry. The Army will be sued for bullying at some future date. I'm not kidding. Look at the abuse that goes on in Bootcamp for crying out loud!

Hi Ter, Belinda and Anon!

November 17, 2010 9:36 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I read someplace, relatively recently, that in the all volunteer Army, they have gotten rid of a lot of the hard nosed training that we used to have.

I was lucky in Basic Training in that my sergeants were all in their mid 30's and most of them probably were married and wanted to get home at night. But God help the guys who had young, single sergeants who lived in the barracks with them. Those were the ones who liked to run the men to death.

In fact, during my training cycle, in one of the other 4 companies in our battalion, the company commander, a young West Point grad, lost his command for making guys do 50 yard wind sprints before meals in very hot and humid weather. You ran them in groups of three, the loser having to go to the back of the line and run again.

So even then they backed off a bit.

November 17, 2010 9:52 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Hi Miss Cathy, Got any snacks to share with your blogger buddies?

I don't care much for cheetos.

Spinach artichoke dip with crispy toasted bagette slices would be nice.


DO I SMELL BACON!?

November 17, 2010 9:55 PM  
Blogger skarab said...

Interesting post! I read a story on Mark Evanier's blog the other day that presents another point of view on bullying (or in this case, grabby kids who want everything first, which is another form of bullying behavior I think). It's a long anecdote, but read to the end. It's extremely enlightening.
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2010_11_14.html

November 18, 2010 12:01 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I was bullied from Grade 5 through 9 by at least 3 different girls/groups. I guess I was too nice. I shoulda just punched them out. That would have shut them up.

November 18, 2010 2:35 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

This round of bullying is aimed at shutting any opponents of special rights activists that focus on sexual deviancy.

I was pulled from a parochial school by the family and put into a "college prep" school as a 7th grader when a Nimrata Randhawa was an 11th grader. Miss Randhawa, as we might now from my blogging, is now our new Governess. Kids fondled my breasts, threw glasses in urine, and attacked me every day in disgusting ways that they cheered. I was scarred academically and socially to this day. I can't sue.

But it's clear the new "bullying" cry is a homosexual special rights movement designed to piggyback along Shepard-Byrd in that anything against their agenda is a crime. A minister who preaches homosexuality is sinful can now be legally arrested for violation of Shepard-Byrd, as we've seen similar laws in other nations prove.

The ends to the Left justify the means. To them, shutting opposition to their agenda is the ultimate goal.

November 18, 2010 3:16 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

I need an anti-bacon temptation law to stop Belinda! lol

Angela: I'll punch them out. When is your next reunion?

Bobby: That's terrible.

November 18, 2010 6:12 PM  
Blogger The Little Way said...

I don't know that we need a law to stop bullying and teasing that goes too far, but we do need parents and teachers that recognize when a kid is either the victim or the culprit of such behavior. I don't agree with those who say teasing is part of growing up. I was teased unmercifully in grade school, and my autistic son was put through a living hell by some of the kids in his class until we changed schools. I would not tolerate such behavior from any of my kids and I'm appalled at how oblivious teachers and parents are to the torture some kids are subjected to. We don't need a law, but we do need common decency.

November 18, 2010 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page