October 31, 2010

Costume Craziness!

I did not post my annual rant about people dressing up as priests and nuns this year. I know! Instead, as today is Halloween and Sunday, how many of you saw people in Halloween costume at Mass today? I avoided any potential costume viewing by attending the Anticipatory Mass on Saturday evening. I had no wish to be cranky.

In any case, let's play "dress up" at Holy Mass and actually dress up for Holy Mass! I don't know why the sight of costumes would upset me as about 1/4 of the Congregation, on any given Sunday, looks like they just rolled out of bed. The "I look like crap" costume never goes out of style! It's popular year-round! You get an extra prize, I think, if you can cultivate the perfect facial ennui to match your costume!

Speaking of craziness and confusion! Today, was All Saints, or is tomorrow All Saints? I picked up my local weekly entertainment paper and the entire issue is devoted to Halloween parties and revelry. Just think what a great world we'd live in if as much ink was spilled and trees sacrificed to list all the ways to consecrate a day to God rather than Satan.

So, if tonight's Mass at your parish is usually the Sunday Mass but now it's an All Saints Mass (same time, same bat station!) have you fulfilled your Sunday Mass obligation? It always amuses me that, in the interest of helping our lazy Christian butts, what is normally a weekly Mass or regular Sunday Mass miraculously becomes the irregular Holy Day Mass.

It's crazy!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Interesting that you should make that request, Cath. I was considering on posting on it this morning.

I attended the 10:00 Mass at the Cathedral because I intended to be an observer when the Rainbow Sash dissidents came to the noon Mass. And I decided to to come early for the 10 because I mistakenly assumed it was the Feast of Christ the King to get a seat (not for several weeks yet). I could explain my confusion, but it would take too long.

Anyhow, I noticed that those who arrived early at the were, without exception, "dressed to the nines."

It was those arriving at anytime between 5 minutes before until the Creed (a huge number) were the ones dressed for shopping or the beach.

October 31, 2010 6:53 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Ray, the latecomers and not-dressed-for-Mass crowd are less likely to belong to the parish; a determining factor is whether they're trained to wait until Father sits before they sit.

Who was the celebrant for noon Mass?

October 31, 2010 7:03 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I suspect that's true, Nan, especially at the Cathedral where they probably get lots of occasional attenders on special occasions in their lives or showing off the Cathedral to visiting relatives.

There was a large extended family in the three rows in front of me who seemed to be with their mother, perhaps on her birthday.

Msgr. Aloysius Callahan from the St. Paul Seminary was the celebrant at noon. He also, since this day was a day encouraging vocations to the priesthood (or something like that), gave a short talk announcing that the SPS, has 92 seminarians, the highest number in 30 years. (Not all of them are for our archdiocese).

He also introduced the beginning seminarian who has been assigned to the Cathedral for the next five years to begin to learn about the duties of a priest besides the Mass and the sacraments.

October 31, 2010 7:25 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Msgr. and the seminarian just made the announcement at the other Cathedral Masses.

October 31, 2010 7:26 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Cath - the evening Mass would still be the Sunday Mass - the All Saints liturgical celebration would take place tomorrow since it falls on a Monday and the obligation is dispensed - hence no anticipatory or vigil Mass on Sunday evening.

October 31, 2010 9:15 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

I must say, that I'm about over grown ups dressing up for Halloween. We made it to 7:15 Mass for All Saints today, but yesterday was confusing to me as well.

If it weren't for the grandkids,I'd skip Halloween all together.

I did notice that there weren't so many skimpy costumes this yer though

November 01, 2010 6:22 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Ray, we had Msgr. and David at 5:00 Mass also. It was an echo chamber; I think everyone went to earlier Mass so they'd be home for trick or treaters.

November 01, 2010 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page