September 19, 2010

Clueless Freestylin'!

This weekend there was, in town, a gathering called “Synod of the Baptized”. Isn’t that Holy Mass? No, some reform group. Not, reportedly, Methodists though they did have a big billboard by Macalester which is supposedly a Methodist univeristy but not really. Not to be confused by St. Catherine University which is a Catholic university but not really. Catholic with a small c like universal but Roman Catholicism bit the dust near the Dewdrop decades ago.

Where has everybody gone, gasped The Rose but, seriously, where is everybody? I know I’ve been scarce. It’s tough to find time to blog when you commute a sizeable distance to work and work more than 8 hours/day.By the time I get home I have time for dinner and that’s it. Two nights per week I’m at Church with my Adoration hour and Bible Study. The rest of the week I need to go to the gym after work. Plus, there are the usual activities of daily life: house, yard, errands. I don’t know how people do it all. Some folks seem to be online 24/7. I don’t get it, but I’m clueless.

Is activity a sign that a life has meaning? No. It’s what you DO with your life that counts. Why are we here? #1 in the Catechism but how do you live an authentic life in Christ watching TV during all your free time or sitting on the Web? I believe in the New Evangelization but, be serious, is that really why some of us (I count myself) are online a lot? It’s a popularity contest. How many friends can I gather? Is that more meaningful than how many graces I can earn for my soul?

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

It's always a matter of balance, but I think you can say that you have indeed some some good evangelizing online.

Well, at least me.

Bede the Grateful

September 19, 2010 7:37 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

"I believe in the New Evangelization but, be serious, is that really why some of us (I count myself) are online a lot? It’s a popularity contest. How many friends can I gather?"

Cath - you are sooooooooooooooooooooo dead on. You know it and I know it - and the people who flatter us by saying we have done good - not true. Not true. What good is it to gain the whole world and lose your soul in the process? That scripture haunts me.

September 19, 2010 8:20 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Mizz Cathy, you da man (i means wo-MYN!)...
did you round up Ter-Meister for that drink with Ray? HMMM?
And now Ray is going to that Godawful-what-the-hell-were=theythinkin'
sin-ODD (hey, don't blame me,...talk to LarryD...he, he, he...)
If y'all were drinkin' more than workin' or going to that crapfest, you'd be okay, know what I'm sayin'?"<)!
Oh, don't listen to me; at all.
I can't even pay my bills.
It's a great life if you don't weaken (says my sorta Irish mother!)

September 19, 2010 8:54 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father NP: Everything ok?

September 20, 2010 7:16 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Yes, but I have a younger guy hitting on me on Facebook. That's HUGE!

I just posted today about us all being "over-connected"

And - I am online waaaaaaaaay too much, but that's going to change.

September 20, 2010 9:04 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I should have prefaced my comment, "Just speaking for myself here... "

September 20, 2010 10:20 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

Cathy, I would rather not have the followers widget but if I don't use it no one will ever stop over to visit me at my blog. Ever.

I'm down to 5 regular readers as I keep annoying people. Without that widget it's like the "dead zone" over there. Which isn't a bad thing I suppose because it lowers my anxiety.

I miss you when you don't post and even so I pray for you no matter if your bloggin' or not.

I've learned countless -enriching stuff from bloggging. It's not all bad - but it is when I neglect my family, my duties or Christ- There's the line.

September 20, 2010 11:34 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

Adrienne, that's why I got off of facebook. I want to be married forever - to the same guy. hahahaha

Now he's on it and loves it. He'll come around.

September 20, 2010 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page