August 19, 2010

Selection & Acquisition

In library science there are two schools of thought when selecting and acquiring materials:

1) Give the people what they want
2) Give the people what you think they should want

School #1 will buy the most popular circulating author’s materials i.e. J.K. Rawling and as many copies as the demand for needs.

School #2 may condescend to buy a few copies of Rawling but will also use some of the budget to purchase several copies of Proust’s “Remembrance of Things Past” because more people should read Proust.

One librarian is letting demand dictate the purchase, the other is letting their opinion dictate the purchases.

In all honesty, most librarians who acquire materials are a little bit of both schools.

Now you know all the secrets of librarianship! :-)

When I was studying Theology at a Catholic college, someone selected the materials of study for us; usually the Professor teaching the course.

The college was a 4-year liberal arts program and it constantly stated that it wanted to provide its students with a wide range of options in order to form a well-rounded opinion.

It was years later that I realized that many of the documents selected for course material were anti-Catholic and distorting materials. Writings faithful to the Magisterium were rare and when we did have them we were encourage to read selections out of context that were misinterpreted. For example; we read the Catechism paragraph on “primary of conscience” but not the following paragraph which essentially states that “primacy of conscience” does not mean disregard: Scripture, Tradition, Magisterium.

When I realized that, there is no other way to say it, knowledge was witheld from me in order to fulfill someone else’s agenda, I was outraged. I'm still outraged.

There are people that will say that what happened it ok. It’s part of liberal arts education. Tell me; what kind of education is it that pretends to teach Roman Catholic Theology but minimizes and ignores the core material? How is that approach well-rounded?

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Of course it's not well-rounded. This is why you should become a college professor.

Just imagine that folks....

Bede

August 19, 2010 7:16 AM  
Blogger Subvet said...

You were to become a well-indoctrinated drone, shame on you for retaining your intellectual independence!

When the reeducation camps open report there immediately for remedial training.

August 19, 2010 7:31 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Cathy: The only probable difference between your school and mine down the road is that my theology classes were taught by men, two being Jesuits (one very conservative, the other of the 60s vintage), the third man had a doctorate and actually taught us early Church history from primary sources. It was ALL my other classes that seemed to have an agenda. In one class, I was the only one (we had to do a show of hands in class...talk about pressure to conform) who believed man was born good, all the others believed man was born neutral or a few even thought bad. Me, being the only dissenter, had to explain myself in class...me the poorly catechised. Needless to say, it was a long semester. Other class activities meant to create group cohesion only drove a bigger wedge between me and the rest of the class.

Now that I homeschool, the only agenda is my own and I'm accountable for it to the Big Guy.

August 20, 2010 9:13 AM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

I got "A's" in all the "heretic courses" I've taken throughout my career in academia...not proud of it;
but I sure knew what they wanted to hear and so I gave it back to them (or should I say I 'shovelled' it back to them:<P).
The upside to this (overlooking money wasted) is that I know the "inside" so very well.
So very, very well.
St. Maximilian Kolbe said that one must know one's enemies; I believe I got that "privilege" and I'm "well-armed" and "loaded" (not in the alcoholic sense!)...it was because, I believe, I was consecrated to Our Lady in the Total Consecration of St. Maximilian as a teen, thus, "innoculated" from ever completely accepting any heresy hook, line and sinker (although there were some "iffy" things that needed to be corrected over time).
I praise the Lord and His Mother for this great grace.
Thanks for this reminder!

August 20, 2010 5:17 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

The real question here my dear is, "Yes, but do you have a Masters? And from where?"

August 20, 2010 9:16 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Mary Daly had who knows what degrees...Rosemary Ruether has who knows what degrees...Fr. Richard McBrien has(?) who knows what degrees...
A Ph.D. might just get your passport into hell these days...and I'm notta kiddin'!

August 20, 2010 10:00 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Fr NP, ain't that the truth!

Cathy, ohhh but your eyes have since been opened and the 20-20 hindsight is marvelous--you give wonderfully wise advice and sage warnings now, because of that past experience. You know the tricks of the enemy!

I love how God makes something good even out of the bad. Isn't He great?! Keep on doing what you're doing, sistah!

August 22, 2010 11:13 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Father wrote, "A Ph.D. might just get your passport into hell these days...and I'm notta kiddin'!"

Then I'd rather be stupid.

August 23, 2010 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page