July 07, 2010

Timeless: Reflection on the Year of the Motu Proprio

Today, July 7th, is the 3rd anniversary of the Holy Father’s motu proprio, Summorum Pontificum (SP). I think of SP as the document that reclaimed a priests AND a lay persons right to participate and have available to them the Mass according to the 1962 Missal (a.k.a. the TLM or Traditional Latin Mass). We now refer to this Mass as the EF or extraordinary form of the rite.

2007 was a huge year for me; not just because of the motu proprio; though that was not an insignificant event.

I was finally BACK in 2007. After a journey of several years I had fully removed myself from my former circle of dissent. I still may have seen or talked to a few of that group but our conversations were awkward as without talking about how much we hated the Church and the Faith we had nothing in common. Trying to share the love you have come to know via authentic and timeless liturgy and prayer with folks who “make it personal” and of the moment is tough. Eventually, we quit trying and I have to admit I only very rarely speak with any of my former crew now. When we talk we kick it Minnesotan and talk about fairly neutral topics like the weather and food. (However, in land of the bland, Minnesota , global warming and spice can be troublesome)

I switched parishes. I was taking a second go-round of Catholicism courses. I was, finally, Confirmed. But, I was, also, finally ready for Confirmation. I was, truly, ready to go forth and make disciples of all nations. I really meant what I professed. If I had been Confirmed earlier in life that would not have been the case. The Lord always has a plan.

Now, I’d like to say I’ve been totally good since 2007, but, well, yeah. There have been bumps in the road. I’m not always the best evangelist for clean living that there is; must less the best advocate for lived expressions of Catholicism that there is. Often I’m more “Do as I say; not as I do”

However, any education that ‘takes’ should, in my humble opinion, bring introspection and, if not clarity; then a recognition of where clarity is lacking in your self.

You may have noticed I’ve been more reflective and introspective than “cranky” of late. I’m not claiming any sudden burst of wisdom but I’ve suddenly realized how far from it I really am. I’ve quit, recently, railing on how much better and enlightened I am than all my dissident buddies, not because I think they are right; because I realize how wrong I am as a spiritual person. Who am I? If Moses and St. Elizabeth can ask these questions, really, who am I to act like a pompous know it all because the Lord finally reached me and I saw Him?

It’s not the more you know the less you know; it’s the more you are exposed to the more there is to absorb. The truth is not out there-it’s in here (pointing to heart and head). I’m trying to absorb it and use it-that’s the phase I’m in now.

2007 will always be for me a pivotal year. It is, for me, THE pivotal year as a Catholic. It was the year I finally felt like one and started acting like it.

In any event; 2007 a VERY good year!

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

I am so blessed to have you as a friend!

July 07, 2010 8:36 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Me too!

July 07, 2010 9:40 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Excellent!

July 08, 2010 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Aw, Angel Baby and Care Ter: Group hug!

Charlotte: Hi and welcome

July 08, 2010 11:57 AM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Aww, God bless you, Cathy!

LOL@the Cathy pic!! (bravo again, Vince!) I'll take a sip of that vintage, as long as you're pouring....er, you *are* pouring, right? :-P

July 08, 2010 9:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Gette: Uh, yeah, right! I suppose I should learn to share!

July 09, 2010 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Stephen said...

Cathy,

It is so helpful to hear your "story" and something of your dissenting days. Your last two blogs have done that so well. You articulated what many US Catholics have suffered through in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. We wanted to "get along" with everyone, and ever so slowly moved into heretical territory, with wondrous justifications. With deep shame I recall telling a Catholic friend of mine in those days that it was silly of us Romans to be worshiping bread and keeping it in a special small box (tabernacle).

If ever I denied Christ, that was the moment!

I only thank God that He woke me up after years of drifting. I did not deserve it but He kept calling to me anyway because he loved me in spite of my denials. Your notion of reparation for our sins of apostasy and pride in our rationalizations rings a bell.

Any ideas on how we/you do this. I guess I would start with asking the Holy Spirit but you might have some other insights.

July 11, 2010 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page