June 16, 2010

Throwing Your Self Under the Bus

At work lately there has been a disturbing tendency to blame someone else when things don’t turn out right. We call it “throwing them under the bus”. The innocent are accused. Rather than “We are all in this together” its every person for themselves. Apparently, some people occasionally forget they need help doing the work. None of us can do everything alone. Yet, when the repercussions hit at the job we forget the team.

Isn’t it the same with sin? It’s someone elses fault that I was tempted and strayed. Like with any addiction, its helpful to avoid certain company on the road to recovery, but some of us can’t or won’t avoid situations or people when we get into trouble.

At work we can’t pick and choose who to work with once we are there. Sometimes it’s like that in life too. Aren’t there days you wish you could pick your own relatives?

I may have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ but I also have personal relationship with the people on the Earth; my co-workers, my neighbors, my friends, my family. We need to lift each other up. We need to collaborate. We need to help each other get to Heaven.

No matter what environment we are in or who we are with we need to be our best and most Catholic self. We need to model Christian behavior.

Are you ever a certain person with one set of friends and someone else at work? Are you different with your family? Do people even know you are Christian?

I admit I’m not always on my best behavior. I’m not consistent. It’s a sign of God’s Divine Mercy that I’m not solely responsible for evangelizing the world or else we’d be in big trouble.

Rather than worrying about throwing blame at someone else. I need to throw my self under the bus. I need to get rid of my less charitable tendancies and model better behavior.

12 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I blame the gays.
.
Seriously - good post - it's so easy to blame others, but you started it.

KIDDING!!!!

June 16, 2010 9:57 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear you had a sucky week. I hear about sucky weeks all the time from my blog administrator and I know from second hand how painful those weeks can be and that you just need someone to talk to about it.

Throwing people under the bus is soooo immature. It's what children do. (They do it all the time around here and now that you've brought it to my attention I will make more of an effort to stop it
- for my childrens sake. It's so sad to carry this into adulthood.

You wrote...Are you ever a certain person with one set of friends and someone else at work? Are you different with your family?

EXELLENT question. I often wondered why some people are nicer to the grocery clerk than perhaps their own wives or children.

I'm very much the same around everyone. I'm pretty transparent. Sadly I lost my temper in public last week and I haven't done that in ages. (BTW - people who do that look like an ass) But generally I'm very compassionate and respectful to everyone I meet and even if I don't know the person. This use to make my administrator angry with me because I would speak to strangers as though they are family or long lost friends and my husband thought that was too weird. He would say,"You don't even know that person, why do you talk to them like that?" I dunnno.

June 16, 2010 10:33 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I was glad to see that you don't blame it on your blogging buddies; everybody else seems to be blaming bloggers for what's wrong with the world these days.

I for one, Cath, am glad you are there for all of us. You provide a sense of reality, of "what's so" for us that can bring us back to earth. Perhaps that is your real ministry; providing the sense of realism about what it is to be a human being, even if we are created in God's Image and Likeness.

June 17, 2010 7:12 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I forgot - I often blame Ray too. LOL!

Why do I like to post silly comments here?

June 17, 2010 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Erin D. said...

That was a nice comparison between throwing co-workers under the bus and sinning. So often we will all just look for somebody else to blame when in reality it was at least somewhat our own fault. Great post thanks for sharing!

June 17, 2010 10:05 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter; It's a vast left wing conspiracy! lol

Ray: How can I blame any blog buddies? I feel like I never see anyone anymore! My fault-too busy. We should go have breakfast.

June 17, 2010 11:02 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

Miss Cathy, I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory but I doubt you can top the "Paul is dead" conspiracy. It would be entertaining (for me) if you'd try however.
;)

I thought he was coming to Kansas City.

June 17, 2010 11:33 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Cath:

Do you think that we could get our blogging gardener and painter to come out of hibernation for an omelet or French Toast?

June 17, 2010 6:07 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

If you go out for breakfast, just don't take the bus.

June 17, 2010 9:04 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Hey, I'll get permission to leave "the enclosure" for an omelet or French Toast! Esp. if I don't have to cook it!
Oh, sorry...that wasn't directed to me:<)!

June 18, 2010 10:35 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Belinda: Saint Paul is dead! Oh, wait, ok-lol

NP: You'd be most welcome!

Larry: Nah

Ray: Are you kidding? Well, maybe a miracle will happen!

June 18, 2010 12:30 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Cath:

We can put out an extra chair, like they do at Passover to an unexpected guest!

We should declare this an impromptu "blognic." Why should Father Z have all the fun?

June 18, 2010 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page