June 27, 2010

The Joy of St. John the Baptist

I read in my Magnificat this week a prayer that I be born in my life every day as someone who leaps with joy before the presence of the Lord.

I loved that. I wished I did.

A few days ago I had dinner with some friends-Catholic friends. Our conversation turned as it sometimes does to “gripes”; gripes about liturgy not properly executed, gripes about priests, gripes about this and that. Among our number is a recent convert. She said with an indulgent smile as she listened to us drone on and on, griping, that she was just glad to be Catholic!

How often do I reflect the joy of being a Catholic to others? Is Catholicism a continual bitch fest? If it is how, why or can anyone want to convert to The Faith? If I sit around griping and complaining about the Faith, what makes me any different from the dissenter I used to be? That’s what I did back then with my dissenting friends, sit around and gripe about how the Faith was not what we wanted it to be.

The Baptist was the herald of the Lord, the one who proclaimed him in such attractive words and actions that he brought many to Christ before they even knew Him. We should all strive to do the same. I should strive to do the same.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Being Catholic is so unbearably cool, I'm worried about frostbite.

Bede

June 27, 2010 9:03 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Don't feel bad - remember, you're still recovering.

June 27, 2010 10:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Bede: Word

Ter: How long can I milk that excuse? :-)

June 28, 2010 9:11 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Until you're dead. :)

June 28, 2010 9:23 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I heard your blog vanished - then reappeared. What up? I was going to do a post about blog removals...

Always prayers and big higs,
T

June 29, 2010 8:57 AM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

test

July 06, 2010 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page