May 16, 2010

The Old Witch Spinster Crazy Cat Lady in the Haunted House Next Door

Me
I’m sure that’s how the kids next door see me. I have cats. They call me a witch with a b to my face. My house is not haunted but you know how kids are. I’m not crazy, at least, I don’t think it’s crazy to expect respect for me and my property. But, they think I’m too demanding to ask them to keep it down at night, quit using drugs in front of the kids, quit hitting their kids, quit verbally abusing their kids, keep their kids in school, quit throwing trash in my yard and rocks at my windows.

Today, I saw one of their kids carrying a knife and waving it around the little kids and using it to stab a basketball and one of their many cars that don’t run that is sitting in their back driveway. No adults are in sight or, apparently at home, and I saw the grandpa leave several hours ago. What do do? I called the Police. The kid told some baloney story to the cops (he’s been well-schooled in the fine art of lying by his family) and the cops left. Who knows where he put the knife or what kid could get hurt?

When I say anything to this juvenile or anyone else in that house they just look at me with cold dead eyes and say nothing.

How do people get to this point? What is going to happen to these kids?

There is a part of me that feels bad for these kids; they are desperate for the attention they are not getting from their family and they are acting out. The neighborhood is their playground and I seem to be one of their favorite victims because I speak out.

I tried to be nice to them for quite a while. I’ve quit doing that now. Now we don’t talk unless it’s me yelling.

I’m struggling with charity. I find myself muttering and rageful everytime I see these people. I’m probably blaming them for stuff they didn’t do or some random coincidence but given the history what else can I do?

Some days I feel like moving but these folks are renters and I’m not. They can go. Maybe that’s not charitable to think that way either.

10 Comments:

Blogger Joe Cap said...

Now that I know that you live in this kind of area, it causes me to worry about you.
I know it is not all their fault, but if they are renters and you are not, then I guess you would have to sell...not always easy.

May 17, 2010 8:58 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

The kids sound scary. Have you tried talking to your councilman? Sometimes they can contact the owner of the property or pull some strings. I think I suggested this before however. I know it sounds overly pious, but pray for them - not to go away - but for their conversion and blessings upon them. Especially the rosary - and just keep it up. You may be surprised.

May 17, 2010 10:16 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Terry: Dang it, I've been praying for them to move-when I'm not praying for their home to burn down! I know..but I've gotta be honest!

May 17, 2010 12:22 PM  
Blogger Melody K said...

Be careful, Cathy! I'm sure you do the normal prudent things, such as locking the doors. Unfortunately that kind of thing doesn't happen only in cities anymore; it's everywhere.
Time is on your side, though. It sounds as if they may not be model renters; maybe not so diligent about keeping up the appearance of the place and paying their rent on time. The landlord may get ticked with them and solve the problem.
Meanwhile, how does Sodak get along with dogs? Not a mean one (they always bite the wrong person); but one that would bark if someone tried to get in.

May 17, 2010 4:29 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Cathy, I live in Minneapolis, and so I can't give you a number or a name to call but you should definitely call your local police precinct, not 911. Explain the nature of the ongoing situation. They will be able to evaluate the situation, with regard to juvenile crime, truancy, etc. Also they may contact the landlord on your behalf. The local police precinct is where livability (crime gets handled or farmed out to special units. (grafitti, drugs, gangs, prostitution, juvenile delinquency and truancy, etc.) Also, depending on the age of these kids, there may be a referral to child welfare.

May 17, 2010 5:47 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Melody: Neither of my cats would do well with a dog. AND, I work too many long hours and too far from my house to take the dog out as it should be. I'd have to hire someone. Love dogs though!

Margaret: I filed a harrassment complaint with the SPPD last summer when it got really bad. The District is aware they are trouble and I've called the childcare license bureau (yes, they have that too) to express my concerns. The Police were sympathetic but I can tell they are not going to do much.

May 17, 2010 8:47 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Maybe some "deliverance" prayers are in order here, in addition to the Rosary, and generous douses of holy water...demonic obsession and activity are going on all around us, and when it manifests itself in things that are not-quite-human (normal kid stuff), spiritual warfare is needed.
Prayers, here.
And keep your kitties safe:<)!

May 18, 2010 1:57 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I had awful neighbors when I lived in Seattle. It really affects your entire life, so I feel for you. Makes it worse when kids are involved. Have you tried the blessed salt and holy water around your yard...and the rosary like Terry said?

May 18, 2010 7:45 PM  
Blogger gmn1660 said...

Poor Cathy, I am so sorry! I didn't realize this. No wonder you have been feeling down.

Good suggestions from Father and Swissy, regarding holy water and all. I think you should also invite your priest to come and bless the house. Even if he has done it before, do it again. Tell him why. Also, Miraculous Medals. If you can approach the children and ask them if they would be offended if you gave them a gift, and then when they say "no" then give them each a MM with a chain, with a little explanation about it. Be sure and have them blessed too. Give one for the mom/adult "in charge", too!

I'm praying for you, darlin!

And on the practical level, have you tried calling their landlord and telling him what is going on there?

L&P,
Gette

May 19, 2010 10:03 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Consider purchasing a pit bull. They love kids.

;)

May 23, 2010 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page