April 02, 2010

Reproaches

What more can He do for you? Why do some of you fail to understand?

For some, today, Good Friday, is the end of the work week, it's just another day. You don't fast, you don't attend Tenebrae or Stations of the Cross or the Commemoration of the Lord's Passion. You don't spend any time today in prayer, you don't Venerate the Cross.

And some of these people call themselves Christians. They think "It is enough" means it's enough to show up at Church twice/year with your family and have a big meal together afterwards and exclaim how much the Church has changed since the last time you were there all those months ago. Oh, and who's the new guy? (priest)

You may think because you go to the store and a bunny is on everything that means a rabbit is going to rise on the third day and on Sunday. Trust me, the bunny: once he's dead is dead.

Not so with the Lord. Yet we spend more time buying hollow chocolate bunnies and dopey pink and green household decorations than we do walking with the Lord on His journey to Calvary for us.

It astonishes me how little one can "get out of" only showing up for Easter and Christmas. It's like showing up for a New Year's Eve party 3 minutes before Midnight and leaving 3 minutes after. There's no build-up and there is no follow-thru. It's a brief hurrah and then it's nothing. It's like showing up for the film as the closing credits roll. But, in this case, you can't get your money back.

Friends: You miss out on the joy of being a Christian year around when you only make an appearance a few times/year. You miss the cycles and the rhythm of the year. The introduction of certain hymns at specific times of the year. The absence of others. The spiritual practices for the seasons. The Novenas. The Calendar of Saints. The dark. The Light. The Birth. The Death.

I understand where you are coming from. I used to be you. Ever wonder why I'm not with you anymore? Life was meaningless. I read #1 in the Baltimore Catechism. Life has meaning when it revolves totally around God not the other way around.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

I would like to print this out 300 times and put it in the bulletin this Sunday....but I will keep praying for the conversion of many instead.

April 03, 2010 12:24 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Instead of ranting, I should pray as well.

April 03, 2010 11:35 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

Cathy, I understand your frustration. It's because people confuse "warm feelings" with true love which requires something in return..

I also happen to be working on a post titled ... What more can he do?

Personally, I would like to know how we can fall deeper in love with Christ and how do we get more of him inside of us? How do we put ourselves inside of his brain space?

****************
Happy Easter Cathy! God bless you and thanks for being my blogger buddy. Many people would really rather not be. ;) hehehe

April 03, 2010 1:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Hi Belinda! Once I befriended Terry and Vincenzo everyone else is easy! LOL!

I know. It's not that I don't know how to love Him (as the song goes), it's that I don't know how to express my love for Him.

April 03, 2010 2:04 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Cathy, he knows.
*********************
BTW If your tired of ham for your holiday meals
I know where you can get hasenpfeffer and it comes
in three flavors- smoked, sweet but tough or tender young cutlets.

You know I'm kidding!
Someone really should write a book.

April 03, 2010 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page