April 30, 2010

It Never Rains but It Pours (or Floods!)

My post the other day caused many to contact me fearing the flooded kitchen floor was mine. No, it wasn't. Thanks be to God! It was my Aunt's floor. In fact, 1/2 of her lower level flooded out as the lake in front of her house rose. The waters have receeded but the lower level is in tough shape. I went out to South Dakota last weekend to help her as much as I can in a short amount of time.

I found I'd rather help someone with their house than work on my own. Speaking of which; it seems I'd rather help someone else with their sins then work on my own.

True to form, I fell into serious sin like I usually do when I leave town. I should just put a big sign on my forehead "SINNER!" before I leave or have my Confessor on standby when I come back to town.

But, I'm still trying to help others to Heaven. Does that make what I did better? Does spending the weekend helping someone else justify that, for no good reason, I missed Mass last Sunday (that's not all I did but I'll leave it at that). No!

Helping others is worthy and an important part of being a Christian but it should not come at the expense of your own soul. I know this. I believe this. But, I don't live this.

Is the answer to never leave my house? Never talk to anyone? Never reach out? No, but when we reach out; when we extend ourselves we should be extending a Christ-like hand not Judas reaching out for the coins.

Please remember in prayer my Aunt. Her son is gravely ill. We don't know what is wrong. She had to fly suddenly to Florida this week to be with him in the hospital.

Some days I don't think I will live past tomorrow. I don't mean literally; I mean spiritually. I'm in a spiritual dead zone right now.

For all the joshing I do with Terry he's always one of the first ones to know something is wrong with me and extend a hand. He makes me laugh. It is all appreciated. His prayers are most appreciated.

All of your prayers are appreciated. Thank you.

I'm feeling maudlin. Maybe it's that another birthday is approaching and I feel, frequently, useless.

I need to pick myself up from that kitchen floor. I am useful. We all are useful. Useful to Him, useful to others, useful to ourselves. If I give up and lie there; is that how I want to spend eternity; in a Hell of scraping linoleum that is never clean with a soul that is always dirty?

16 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I just came across the following quote from Cardinal John Henry Newman. I've been feeling completely overwhelmed lately and the last sentence makes me feel rather better.

Bede

"God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good; I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it if I do but keep His commandments. Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him. If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about."

April 30, 2010 10:54 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Prayers, dearest.
You can come to confession to me at any time...my ears are "asbestos proofed" (is that pc?)...and you can bring Ter with you...then we'll go out for coffee (there is actually a decent place around here in the "hinterland"!)
Sorry to hear about all the kerfuffle.
Prayers for all your intentions and know that you are, indeed, loved, by many, and most of all by our dear Lord Jesus. Don't EVER forget it!

April 30, 2010 11:29 PM  
Blogger Inky said...

Oh that nasty thing called sin.
Read Romans 7: 15-25. The Apostle Paul talks of his fight with his
(our) sin nature. Confess your sin to God and because of the blood of Christ He forgives you. Then try not to go back to that sin. As long as we are in this earthly flesh we will battle with sin!
God Bless you.

May 01, 2010 7:20 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Big tears in my eyes - not because you mentioned me but because you are so good. Jesus knows how to deal with our faults and sins - what he loves is humility and the charity he sees in us. If I see great love in you, imagine what he sees! And what your aunt and other familiy members see while you are with them. Charity covers a multitude of sins.

May 01, 2010 9:10 AM  
Blogger The Little Way said...

Cathy Of Alex

Your post makes me think that the two of us living parallel lives at this moment in time. I'm going through hell on earth right now at work and haven't been as faithful to my daily devotions as I should be. The result is not pretty. I keep questioning why God has permitted something to happen, which is not something someone like me is ever supposed to do. I've been in a state of spiritual numbness for months. I go through the motions, but it feels mechanical. I would never in a million years have the audacity to compare myself to Mother Teresa, but I do wonder how she carried on if she lived with this lack of consolation for most of her religious life. In a way, though, I do know the answer: she recognized Christ "in the distressing disguise of the poor" and I would venture to bet that when she was lifting society's rejects out of the gutter, she never felt closer to Him than in those moments. Lord knows I'm in no position to offer anyone counsel right now, but that's never stopped me before, so.... helping others is good, but go into it with a game plan. "OK, I can help you scrape up the linoleum until my hands are raw, but under one condition: I must get to Mass on Sunday morning." Then figure out how you're going to do that before you pack your bags. And then ask for His help in having you stick to that plan. Perhaps this will also help you not to fall into the other areas that are causing you problems when you "venture out of your safe zone." From one sinner to another, hang in there.

May 01, 2010 9:10 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Prayers...

May 01, 2010 9:38 AM  
Blogger gmn1660 said...

Cath, *big hug*!

I know what you mean about being more prone to sin the more contact you make with people. But, for myself at least, I've come to realize God doesn't want us to avoid people to avoid the possible sins. (In my case: gossip! stupid squabbles! heated arguments! things said which should have been kept to myself! and the list goes on...) Avoiding people would certainly help us avoid those things, but how would we grow past them if we don't have a chance to practice? Besides, if we avoid people, how can we fulfill his second commandment of "Love thy neighbor"?

When you are doing stuff for others, serving them, helping them in the struggles of life, you're fulfilling that commandment. You are loving your neighbor! And remember, Love covers our multitude of sins.

Keep loving, hon.

Lots of love and prayers,
Gette

ps, why is blogger showing my email address as my identity??!?

May 01, 2010 11:15 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks for these comments.

Nazareth Priest: I would love that.

Bede: Superb quote. Perfect! Thank you.

Gette: I knew it was you. Your heart gives you away every time.

May 01, 2010 11:33 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Hie thee to the kitchen, M'lady! I'm really hungry.

God bless you. You and your family have been in my (mostly) daily prayers for some time. And will remain so.

Another birthday coming up? Me too! I wonder when Terry's birthday is? Or has he stopped having them?

May 01, 2010 1:02 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Birthday wishes and greetings to you both, Ray and Cathy!! a little early

God bless you always.

Does Terry have a May bday too? Somebody should throw a blog birthday bash!

May 01, 2010 7:00 PM  
Anonymous L. said...

I am right there with you, my friend. Prayers!

May 01, 2010 8:39 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Gette:

Yup, Cathy's is on the 7th, Terry's is on the 15th, and I'll be 28 on the 27th!!!

Only 22 more years and I can join AARP.

May 02, 2010 1:40 AM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Ray,

You young thang, you!!

:-D

May 02, 2010 10:28 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Gette!

I even have hair (on my arms)!

Poor Looziana! I hope you don't have relly's who are fisher-folk!

Just when they finally got a decent governor, all these disasters strike, taking any financial resources he might have away.

Sigh.

May 02, 2010 8:09 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

C of A - prayers for you!

May 03, 2010 6:46 AM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Ray, hair on your arms? You can use Nair for that, I hear. :-P

No, no relatives in the fishing industry, but man! what a nasty oil spill that is. Everybody'll miss the gulf shrimp, tho.

May 04, 2010 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page