March 29, 2010

You Are Not Approved

Recently, a retreat I was to attend was cancelled. I only know what I was told. I was told that the speaker should have had his speech approved under the Archdiocesan speaker policy before speaking. The event was to take place in a Catholic Church. A Mass would be celebrated by this same priest/speaker.

I was upset at the cancellation. I look forward to this retreat every Lent. I wondered where is the justice? This priest seems very solid to me. He was a key part of my re-entry into the Church.

Maybe I don’t have all the facts. Maybe I don’t have enough trust in my Church leaders. If that’s true, than I’m no better than the people who say they don’t trust the faith because some abusive priests share it.

I admit I’m angry because I know there are parishes in town that have speakers before, during and after Holy Mass every week and I’m 99% sure they don’t meet the criteria of being in “good standing with the church” .

Why is nothing done to stop them? Maybe because they’ve been written off already.

Have you ever reached a point where you are so far gone that people give up trying to correct you? They just roll their eyes at your antics and see you are lost. Nothing they do or say is going to correct you. You go your way and I’ll go mine.
Because the Archbishop is not visiting you and his office is not contacting you for corrective actions should you feel good about that? Are you being “left alone” because you are in the right?

10 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I've tried to get Arguement of the Month Club meetings banned to no avail - so what's with this crap?

BTW - you told me this story Saturday. I love your posts... or should I say, I approved them.

...insane laughter.

March 29, 2010 11:00 PM  
Blogger Bad Catholic said...

The squeaky wheel gets oiled. You and your fellow retreatants should complain to the Archbishop and demand to know why other speakers are not required to have pre-approval and are not cancelled. If you don't like the response, then start complaining to Rome. Remember, Saint Catherine of Sienna changed the Church by sufficiently nagging the Pope. Respect the Bishop but don't give up, and don't give in.

March 30, 2010 5:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: You did!

March 30, 2010 6:24 AM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Cathy ~ I know of one speaker who IS banned now, although I am not at liberty to discuss anything about it. And it's one you probably thought was just "too far gone." The Archdiocese IS working to eliminate these things and I've had conversations with certain people about them. They are GLAD for the speaker policy now because they have basis and ability to respond to complaints.

Bad Catholic ~ Check your facts on St. Catherine of Siena and what was historically going on in the Church at the time of the Avignon captivity. She was not "nagging the Pope." She was trying to save his soul. In fact, she told him that each day he remained in Avignon was another mortal sin. The next day he returned to Rome, and immediately after his arrival...he died. Then the TRUE Pope was restored ending the confusion and "reign" of the anti-Popes.

St. Catherine was a Saint because she did God's will, and wasn't looking for "power" like so many surmise. She was humble, she was holy, and God worked through her to "wash the face of His Bride". She didn't "change the Church." She healed it, and that is a very different thing. She restored what was right by cooperating with God's grace.

Further on speakers and other complaints: it's not about the Archbishop. The best thing to do with regard to speakers is to contact the proper department in the Chancery office. Not the Bishop. In the case of retreats and the like, I believe that falls under Religious Education (can't think of the heading they use at the chancery. It's too dang early right now.) But go to the archspm website and find the proper contacts for your issue instead of harassing the Archbishop all the time.

So Cathy, if you have a complaint, go to the website and post your question there. You can even do it by email by contacting the people in charge of the proper departments.

March 30, 2010 6:43 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Hi Cath!

March 30, 2010 4:52 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I'm not advocating a letter writing campaign and I'm not in a fury at the Archbishop or the Chancery. I'm whining about injustice but on this issue I'm tired of writing campaigns so I'm not taking any action beyond the post. However, the point of my post was to inform the offenders that I know read this blog, that they may want to quit being so smug about "getting away with it"

Ter: Yeah, I know. ;-)

March 30, 2010 4:56 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

This must be an ArchD of Mpls/StP kinda thing...what in the heck is going on there, guys?
At least here in the Diocese of LaCrosse (which is NO center of orthodoxy, let me tell ya), the former bishop instituted a thing about "outside" speakers getting permission to speak...the rest of us yokels are free to do what we do, as long as we're not "suspended":<)!

March 30, 2010 7:01 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

Cathy - will you check in on Terry? I think that he and I are victims of identity theft...

April 01, 2010 8:12 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

April Fools Larry.

April 04, 2010 10:12 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

Terry - I know!

April 05, 2010 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page