February 22, 2010

The View from My Desk


It's Lent and I can barely tell. I'm so busy at work. I'm grateful to have the job but I'm working 50-60 hours/week. We are hiring so I hope some of the pressure will abate eventually. Blogging is going to be light to non-existant for a while. By the time I unplug from work and get ready for bed-It's time for bed. I don't have time to compose a blog post much less read blogs.

I'm glad I have my desk crucifix. It keeps the Lord in my peripheral vision, if not my full vision. I was so busy on Ash Wednesday that I never got ashes. I know. It's not technically a Holy Day of Obligation but it is a good spiritual practice and way to kick off Lent. What did I do? Work. I usually go to Confession to start Lent off on a strong note-what was I doing? Something else. Never got that done either this year.

I feel like I'm rendering unto Caesar more than the Lord.

People talk about the work/life balance. Where's the spiritual/work balance? I carry the Lord with me when I can. I pray in my car on the way to and from work. I pray before lunch. But, I feel like I'm cramming Him in along with everything else. Will it come to the point that I'm putting the Lord in my Outlook calender?!?

I'm being totally serious. What do you do?

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 22, 2010 10:48 AM  
Blogger Joe Cap said...

Like you, I try to pray when I am driving...I would rather just pray while doing nothing else, but at least when I am on the freeway, I can talk to God without being interrupted. We know that whatever time we devote to God gets repaid 7-fold, but you are much more spiritual than me, and I don't have to tell you that.

February 22, 2010 12:26 PM  
Blogger Melody K said...

Like Joe said, we'd rather pray while doing nothing else. But we do it when we can. Praying in the car is good. I prayed a chaplet of Divine Mercy while waiting in the dentist's office today. At least we manage to sanctify some minutes which would otherwise be wasted in that way. When you figure out the work/life balance, be sure to tell me how to do it.

February 22, 2010 7:13 PM  
Blogger Anna B. said...

I commute and listen to the Divine Office and Pray as you Go Podcast in the mornings. I try to say Divine Mercy Chaplet or Rosary.
On the way home I try to recite the Divine Mercy chaplet or listen to the Catholic Channel. Praying helps the time pass for me.

February 23, 2010 10:55 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Cathy, be sure and start your day with a Morning Offering. That way, all of your work is prayer offered to Him too. I am sure He is always front and center in your life, even though you only "see" HIm in your peripheral vision! Your words and actions and attitudes are going about your Father's business, witnessing to the Faith--even though you may not even realize it. But I bet your colleagues do.

February 25, 2010 11:32 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Promise me you'll never put your coffee back there. I'm getting sweaty palms thinking about the possible electrical disaster senerios.

I can't stop being a mom.

March 01, 2010 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page