February 17, 2010

Lenten Plan

I’ve been thinking since Septugesima what my Lenten plan would be-the advantage of the traditional calender is you consciously get the lead time to think about it! Those of us who are weaker and need more help (me!) need all the lead time we can get.

In year’s past I’ve had this elaborat e and lengthy plan of “to-dos”. I will continue during Lent with my regular regimen and habits which I think, on the surface, are lengthy and good.

The problem is: surface. I can recite the Rosary daily (and do) , I can read Scripture daily (and do) and got to Mass on Holy Days (and do) and go to Adoration weekly (and do), fast and abstain as required during Lent, but if I’m not working on my interior disposition the results of the exercises are limited.Sure, it’s better than nothing, but I’m aware of my shortcomings. The period of preparation for Lent gave me a greater awareness then suddenly waking up today and realizing it’s Ash Wednesday!

My plan is to work on my interior charity; really, the lack thereof. I’m constantly fighting the temptation (well, lets be honest, it’s not a heated battle) to mutter about others, judge people, worry about what other people are, or are not, doing. The minute I find myelf falling into my continual temptation to prove to myself what little charity I really have, I’m going to do one of the following: send up a prayer, seek forgiveness in the Confessional or punish myself by some type of personal deprivation.

This will be the most challenging Lent ever.

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

Wow - my penances seem so lame in comparison! Am taking a page out of your book!

February 17, 2010 12:36 AM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Happy baptism-anniversary, Cath! (I read it at Ter's blog). I'll pray for you at adoration today! May God grant you many many more happy, healthy and holy returns of the day! :-D

February 17, 2010 1:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angel Baby: Nothing is lame! Love you new avatar!

Hi Gette!

February 17, 2010 9:33 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

I always make big plans for Lent but God always messes up my plans and I end up giving up or working on something about myself that I never even considered.

February 20, 2010 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page