February 07, 2010

A Lady Waits

Last Friday was First Friday and is my habit I attended late evening Mass. I had to use the ladies room before entering the church. I went to the restroom in the school corridor.As I walked to it, I saw a statue of Our Lady of Fatima resting on a pew in the hallway. Obviously, she was, temporarily, placed there. Maybe she was being taken to an overnight vigil. I was not sure. In any case, it was disconcerting to me to see her visage sitting there alone in the corridor.

I know the statue is NOT actually Our Lady. It’s a representation of her. But, still, I was sad to see her just sitting out there by herself. Waiting.

It turns out after the Mass, she was brought out and placed on a pedestal in preparation for a Vigil period.

I reflected on the Gospel passage in Luke where Mary is waiting outside the house for Jesus who is inside and Jesus, when told his Mother is outside, does not go out to her or insist she be allowed in. In fact he gives us a lesson in how the family in Christ is THE family; blood relation is second. As far as we know, as Scripture does not confirm, Mary waited and Her Son never came to her.Eventually, she probably went away. What a sorrow that must have been for her-for any parent whose child does not acknowledge them. Perhaps this was another thing that Mary pondered in her heart. She, despite her position as Mother of the living God, would have to wait her turn “on line” just like everyone else.

There she was in the corridor, waiting for the Mass to honor her Son to conclude and then she would enter the Sanctuary. Thinking about it that way, it made sense to me that she was in the hallway-waiting.

There are those who would say that Jesus’ “treatment” of Mary is, yet, another illustration of the injustice perpetrated by the Church against women. Women are always treated as second class-they have to wait outside until the men are done and then they can enter.

Jesus honored his Mother during his life. He listened to her, but, when He was ready to embark upon His Father’s mission she had to take her place among his disciples. When you think about it, and this is what Jesus was trying to say, being counted among His disciples was a better place than being one of His relatives. Mary’s position as a disciple, really THE disciple, was more important than her role as His mother.

Blood is no guarantee of heaven, true discipleship is.

Mary waited on and for her Son during her life. She took her place among the disciples when she walked the earth. She was rewarded for her service by being honored as the highest human in Heaven. For all the people who insist that the Church is sexist, reflect that a woman is the most exalted human in Heaven. Reflect also that the Catholic Church “makes a big deal” about Mary-you will not find a Protestant church doing the same.

7 Comments:

Blogger nazareth priest said...

Holy Mary is the Handmaid of the Lord.
She points to Her Son...ALWAYS.
A great reflection, C of A.
Our Lady gives us the most perfect answer: "Do whatever He tells you."
That's all.
That's it.

February 07, 2010 11:32 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Mary was the epitome of obedience. Something many of our Catholics have forgotten.

February 07, 2010 11:54 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

Beautiful thoughts, Cathy. Thanks.

February 08, 2010 8:53 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

I enjoyed your reflection about the Blessed Mother very much.

I once spoke with an old woman after confession who said to me- indigently, "Father
told me to go and sit back down and think about my confession and that I must have
something to confess, I really don't have anything to confess!", she said.

I am always baffled by a persons inability to see themselves as they really are.

Many see themselves greater than Mary. It's manifested by their actions -
through self importance and role playing.

I keep thinking about myself- pray that you are not deceived.

February 08, 2010 9:50 AM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

This is a good reminder about how we are brothers and sisters to our children, in the family of God. That we will not always be the "boss" of them, and that we are given charge to HELP them so that, someday, we can stand together in Heaven as equal sons and daughters of the Lord.

February 09, 2010 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, used to be baffled by the inability of people to see themselves as they are, until I discovered the answer: PRIDE. And then I thought about my own inability to do the same.

February 10, 2010 3:53 PM  
Blogger Inky said...

Blood is a gaurantee of salvation. It is proof of true salvation. The Blood of Christ covers all our sins. Heb 9:22 And almost all things, according to the law,are cleansed with blood; and without the shedding of blood there is no remission. Douay-Rheims

February 16, 2010 6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page