January 31, 2010

Septuagesima in the Kitchen

I decided to bake bread today. Those of you who bake bread from scratch know that the process requires time and patience. The preparation is not intense but is not quick. Baking bread requires certain conditions to allow the result to be sucessful.

I let the dough rise overnight in the bread bowl on the stove top. I put a towel over it. Just like my Mom used to do.

Before Mass I formed some rolls and and a loaf and, same ritual, covered the pans the dough was in with towels and set the pans on the stove top.

Right before I left for Mass I spotted Sodak on top of the stove with his paws on the towel in one of the pans, kneading. Those of you with cats know what I mean. I inhaled my breath quickly and yelled (starts with a d). The minute one of my cats hears my breath hiss they know they are in trouble. Sodak ran for the nearest high place he could find with great apprehension on his feline visage.

My anger was fleeting. I laughed. I can’t blame him. I enjoy kneading dough myself. Gosh, if I knew he liked to do that, I’d have him help me bake bread more often!
I rubbed his chin and gave him a kiss.I have to call that love. No harm done. It’s only bread. It will re-rise. Perhaps, the farther it falls, the higher it will rise. And, it was reworked-hopefully, not too much, but sometimes dough reacts well to extra attention!

Well, it all turned out fine-like all the best meals everyone in the household helped!Well, Kaylen helped by staying out of the kitchen! I’m still trying to teach my cats to do dishes with limited success.

Today, is Septuagesima-nine weeks before Easter. If Lent is a time of preparation for Easter, this period is a time of preparation for Lent. I’m starting to think, now, about my plan to make Lent meaningful. Like all plans it requires time, patience and thought.

The end result of my baking could have been disaster, my Lent may turn out to not be as meaningful as I’d like; however, there can be no doubt that at the end of Lent we will hear “Resurrexit…..” and Jesus will rise again.

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I get it - this is like a story then.

I love Sodak - he's a baker cat.

January 31, 2010 8:36 PM  
Blogger belinda said...

Aw, it's a nice story. I have become the crazy cat lady. I'll read all of your cat stories.

Consider baking a round loaf of bread in a cast iron dutch oven. It gets crispy on the outside just like Mr.Dean's, and Mr.Duluca's does. Now if I could figure out how to make their artichoke break.....yum!

I'm mapping out my lent. I have big plans for myself. hahaha
but I'm serious. It's time for the pre-game exercises. I like to warm up first. I can't just dive in for lent. It feels too bad. hahahaha

January 31, 2010 9:47 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I am dipping my toe into the pre-Lenten waters...(heh...how baptismal poolish of me...) and so far I have two books I am going to read. Giving up meat on Fridays too (not required in Canada except Ash Wed and Good Fri.) I know I can come up with more. Stay tuned!

January 31, 2010 11:35 PM  
Blogger Argent said...

This is what I love about Gesimas. I can try and fail and then, by the time Lent has started, I'm hitting my stride.

Yesterday's Tract was like a theme song:

Out of the depths I cried to Thee, O Lord, Lord hear my voice. If Thou, O Lord, wilt mark iniquities, who shall stand. For with Thee there is merciful forgiveness...

February 01, 2010 8:28 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: Sodak has a big head. He already thinks he needs his own Facebook Fan Page!

Belinda: This will be a challenging Lent for me if I stick to my plan.

Angela! Uh, did Ter hook you up with his surgeon?

Argent: I LOVE the De Profundis . I was so happy to hear it yesterday.

February 01, 2010 12:28 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

I love bread.
I love homebaked bread.
I actually do make bread once in a blue moon.
However.
A cat kneading bread?...I need a conversion here...badly...help me!!

February 02, 2010 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page