January 05, 2010

"Feminist" Theologian Mary Daly Died

This notice flew under the radar but I thought I'd post it. Mary Daly, the VERY radical feminist theologian died on January 3rd at the age of 81.

There was a time when I vigorously studied her work. I have to admit, she was too much for me and I was not a convert to her ideas, even back then. Daly was a radical reconstructionist; you could even say: deconstructionist.

Her work dealt with language and how changing language and the terms we use can have radical implications upon belief and the structures of power (as she saw them).

If some of you think some members of the USCCB get too hung up on language and the influence therein relative to how we worship or live or Catholic faith, they are nothing compared to the late Ms. Daly's views on language.

Trust me on this. Even if you are preceding from some the same hypothetical starting points as Ms. Daly, her work is still "challenging" to get thru.

In her defense, I'll say that she was never boring. Convoluted, mistaken and, often, bizarre; but, never, boring. In your mercy, please pray for her soul.

11 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I remember her "Wickedary" which was a very, very clever book. You're right, she was never boring. Thanks very much for posting about her death and reminding us to pray for her soul.

Bede

January 05, 2010 11:08 AM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Never read her...heard about her.
The comments on the ncreporter.com are just 'vomitus'...I'm sorry, but this woman was in a very "bad way" (my Irish is coming out here)...can't judge her, God has already.
But for the love all that is good, what, just what in heaven's name was her mission all about?
I don't get it.
But, then again, I'm just a white European-descent male trash, I guess! (And a religious priest to boot!)

January 05, 2010 8:36 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Don't you just love Fr. John Mary? I do.

Poor angry Mary Duffy.

January 05, 2010 9:30 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I'm sorry - drunk again! LOL! Mary Daly - ran into her daily at BC!

January 05, 2010 9:33 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 05, 2010 9:34 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 05, 2010 9:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: You and Ray are down at the pub aren't you?!

January 05, 2010 9:38 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Terry: I love you, too!!

January 05, 2010 10:46 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 05, 2010 10:53 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Sorry I was so disrespectful - today I repent.

January 06, 2010 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: You make me laugh, which is a good thing. A very good thing.

Now, do I need to seperate you and Nazareth Priest? :-)

January 06, 2010 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page