December 01, 2009

They Just Knew It

Continuing on from my post of yesterday about the implementation of the Novus Ordo. I talked about my Dad disliking folk music in the Sanctuary and my Grandfather never going back to Mass, unless he "had to".

My family, the ones that are still Catholic (many of them practice no faith tradition at all), are people of simple faith. They may not know how to express the "why". They may not be able to quote from the Catechism or point to an article of Canon Law, but they know wrong when they see it and feel it in their heart.

The growing lack of reverence towards the Mass, after the implementation of the New Mass, felt wrong to them. It was wrong, but they could not always articulate why and what bothered them.

My Mom and my Grandfather are both deceased so I can't go back and ask them for input. I took my Mom once to my former dissenting parish. She went once and never again. "It's not for me, Jan" and had that look on her face. You know-the "Mom look!" That half disapproving, half tolerant look. My Mom excelled at it. It's legendary in my family as the "Rita Look". She preferred a quieter Mass and one that adhered to the GIRM She didn't know what the General Instruction of the Roman Missal was but she knew "wrong" when she saw it.

I have to think my Grandfather would be horrified by the casualness of the Mass vestments and the attire most people wear to Mass in our modern times. My Grandfather was so meticulous about his personal appearance and his suit that we were often late for events because he decided his shirt was not pressed well enough or he didn't like the way his hair looked. It took him, no lie, three hours to get ready to "go out". He never went to Mass, the few times I remember seeing him at Mass, without a full suit and a hat on. To Grandpa, anything of true meaning, is worth wearing and looking your best. What's more meaningful, than Holy Mass?

Is the knowing something is wrong the true "primacy of conscience" the "progressives" like to fall back on as an excuse for their dissent? When the conscience of my Grandfather, and my parents pricked them was that better or different than the type of conscience claims "progressives" fall back on?

I say: it depends. In all things, your conscience cannot remain in a vacuum seperate from the fullness of the Truth as disseminated thru the Scripture, Tradition and Magisterium of the Church. Tradition-some of what happened after the implementation of the New Mass was a break with Tradition. I believe that break is what bothered my loved ones. It was so far from what they knew and were taught that they could not do otherwise than believe it was wrong.

I want to be clear, again, that I am not blaming the Novus Ordo itself for the goofiness that ensued after it was implemented. As I said yesterday, wackiness was already creeping into the parishes of my youth before the formal installation of the New Mass. I'm convinced, however, that there were people who took advantage of the confusion and newness of the time to implement their heresies and counter-instructions.

I pray, if nothing else, we learned. We learned that changes cannot just be "sprung" abruptly upon the faithful. We learned to keep a closer eye on catechesis. I'm grateful that the new Mass translations coming are being gradually introduced and that many Archbishops and priests have made a point of mentioning the upcoming new Mass translations in their writings, homilies, bulletins and public speeches.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

"They may not know how to express the "why". They may not be able to quote from the Catechism or point to an article of Canon Law, but they know wrong when they see it and feel it in their heart."

The Church calls this the "sensum fidei" (the sense of the faithful).

December 01, 2009 10:59 PM  
Blogger Melody K said...

I think you are right that there were people who took advantage of the confusion to push their own agenda. I recall some behavior which I can only describe as "liturgical bullying". Thankfully the crazy season seems to have passed; and further changes appear to be taking place in a more thoughtful, gradual way.

December 02, 2009 5:25 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Well said, Cath! My family was the same way - I was the same way, sensing the protestantism of it all, although I did not know that was what it was that bothered me so much about the new Mass. My folks continued to go, but it was clear their faith had been affected -- Mass had been trivialized, and all else followed suit. Shame on the deconstrutionists! Thank God for the return to the correct forms, and the TLM, wherever it is available!

December 03, 2009 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page