December 08, 2009

Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception



Today is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. It is a Holy Day of Obligation, which means you, if you are a Catholic, MUST go to Mass. This obligation, unlike some other Holy Days of the year (yeah, Ascension-me cranky), is NOT transferred to the Sunday just past or this coming Sunday. Go TODAY!!!!

Can I rant for a moment? How is that the last Mass of the day before (Monday in this case) on every other day will still count as the daily Mass but right before a Holy Day of Obligation it is suddenly a Vigil Mass? I'm talking about instances where, say, the 5:15 Mass on most Mondays is always a Monday Mass of the day, but, now it's suddenly a Vigil for the Holy Day-attendance at which fulfills your obligation. Now, if the parish had added a later Mass-like 6 or 7 p.m. then I can get why that would be a Vigil...I don't know...sometimes I wonder at how being accomodating is supposed to help educate the faithful on the seriousness of the day.

Because I know I was confused for decades..the Immaculate Conception does NOT refer to the conception of Jesus. It refers to the conception of Mary. I know many think it is referring to Jesus because we are in Advent and Christmas is approaching. It makes perfect sense that Mary MUST have been immaculately conceived. Why would God want someone full of sin to be the Tabernacle of His Son? The more you meditate upon the sinless state of Mary and her role as literal host of the Lord for 9 months, many things about your own state of life and worthiness to receive Communion inside your body may fall into place. Trust me.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a Holy Day of Obligation in England. Some churches don't even have Mass, and those that do make sure it's at 10 am, so only OAPs can go.
--Radicalfeminispoet

December 08, 2009 3:33 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

OAP?

It is a Holy Day. Too bad there is no Mass time you can get to.

December 08, 2009 6:09 AM  
Blogger Blanscet Hernandez Family said...

OK, I have to admit. I went to the vigil Mass yesterday. I have three kids, a job, and one hectic life. I have to get while the getting is good! Plus, I wanted to make sure to take (at least) my oldest to Mass.

I love, love, love this feast. First, Father wears this awesome Gothic style vestment with the Miraculous Medal stitched on it. Second, who doesn't love Ave Maria and Salve Regina? Only fools! Third, I always tear up when I hear the Magnificat sung...any version.

As I told my son last night on the way home from Mass, Jesus was a momma's boy. It may sound a bit crass, but he was. Hello??? Wedding feast at Cana??? So, if he's a momma's boy, we should honor his mother.

-Paulette

December 08, 2009 7:51 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

Isn't Mary, The Immaculate Conception also the Patron Saint of the USA?
We have a Holy Hour of Grace at noon today at our Church, and Mass this evening.

December 08, 2009 9:25 AM  
Blogger Blanscet Hernandez Family said...

Yes, she is! I go at least once at year to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception here in DC.

December 08, 2009 10:02 AM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

In terms of the Vigil Mass, one may pray First Vespers of the Solemnity as early as 4PM and so a Mass after that would constitute a Vigil Mass.
Your point is well taken, however.
Vigils in the early Church meant something much different; they had Mass at midnight or prayed until before dawn and then had Mass.
The Christmas Mass at Midnight has really taken a hit, here. But I guess human weakness and a desire for 'convenience' has overtaken the real tradition of making vigil or praying in the middle of the night.

December 08, 2009 10:27 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

LOL, well in this case I was happy that I got to go to the vigil Mass @ St. Agnes last night because I would not have made it up there for the Latin Mass tonight! I would have been subjected to a local parish here with drums and guitars, no doubt. ;D {{{shudder}}}

December 08, 2009 11:55 AM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Chris: Drums and guitar?
Oy!
That's just nasty...glad you made it to St. Agnes last night!

December 08, 2009 1:31 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Because of my work schedule, I had to go to the Vigil last night as well.

But, I was at the Cathedral-so Chris you didn't miss me! :-)

December 08, 2009 4:47 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Were you the white mantilla with blue jacket? I had to run...

December 08, 2009 9:20 PM  
Blogger karen said...

It makes perfect sense that Mary MUST have been immaculately conceived. Why would God want someone full of sin to be the Tabernacle of His Son? The more you meditate upon the sinless state of Mary and her role as literal host of the Lord for 9 months, many things about your own state of life and worthiness to receive Communion inside your body may fall into place. Trust me.

Wow- very powerful to think about. Thank you. God bless!

December 08, 2009 11:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Nan: Yes!

December 09, 2009 8:54 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

OMIGOSH! You scared Nan? She had to run? Cathy - I told you to stop scaring people at Mass!

December 09, 2009 9:34 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter; You KNOW how it is! I can't help myself, really.

December 09, 2009 6:23 PM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Heeheehee, Cathy is scary.

I went to 6:30pm Mass on the 8th. It was weird to go to such a late Mass on the day of the feast? I was thinking that as we walked into church. It was neat to say the Gloria, though. It was just me and the three big kids, for a change. That was nice, too.

December 10, 2009 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Mary's mother also immaculately conceived? Otherwise how would a sinless Mary come from the vessel of sin, her mother?

December 12, 2009 1:12 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: No. However, both of Mary's parents are Saints: Anna and Joachim.

December 12, 2009 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page