December 05, 2009

Queer Advent Retreats

Ok, I'm a day late and more than a dollar short. A local parish is hosting an odd Advent retreat. Actually, it was last night and today. It's been a busy first week of work. You may have noticed I've been scarce.

This Advent retreat is by a Jesuit author and here's some info about where he's coming from for your Saturday morning reflection.

"Nor is discrimination based on sexual identity new (even if such discrimination manifests itself in particularly virulent forms under the aegis of modernity) what is new is the realization that we cannot understand the reality of sexual preference apart from the culture that express and repress it. As each of these examples suggests the new attention to cultural diversity involves the humbling acknowledgement that we cannot access the signficance of such diversity apart from a genuine encounter with members of diverse cultures." ( Kevin Burke SJ - Discernment and Truth)

Huh? Maybe I have not had enough coffee yet and maybe Ray is confusing me over breakfast but how is this type of topic appropriate for an ADVENT retreat? How is it appropriate for a Catholic church? How is it appropriate that a priest is questioning the authority and moral teaching of the Church he is a member of?

Advent retreats can be a great thing for ones spiritual journey. Be careful, that any you are attending are going to, truly, deepen your relationship with Christ.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Comment #1a: I didn't read the title when you showed me your "draft" of this post. Seems to me like a blatant attempt to increase your blog hits on SiteMeter.

Comment #1b: All things are appropriate in this new age to some preachers.

Comment #1c: Just because he wrote that doesn't mean that he's going to talk about it at the parish in question. Lots of questions, believe me.

Comment #1d: I didn't understand what he was trying to say.

Comment #1e: (Citing today's gospel)Some thought police types don't worry about the planks in their own eyes.

Comment #1f: What did they use planks for in ancient Israel where the buildings were made out of mud and bricks (I think). I thought planks were for siding and roofing.

December 05, 2009 12:14 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Comment 2a: Ray, did we have alcohol for breakfast this morning?

December 05, 2009 2:23 PM  
Blogger Mary Rose said...

The short answer to your question is: no, it is not appropriate. I agree with your concerns. And I'm not sure how to take Ray's comments above since as far as I know, it's not an issue of having a "plank in the eye" to define Catholic doctrine. The Church clearly teaches that the homosexual is called to live a chaste life.

As for the "we cannot understand the reality of sexual preference apart from the culture that express and repress it." portion - rubbish. Same-sex attraction goes against natural law, no matter which culture one may live in. It's rationalization of the highest order to claim that because active homosexuality is not accepted as a legitimate lifestyle by the Catholic Church, then something is wrong with the Catholic Church. Same for our current culture. The problem isn't with people who "repress" it. It's with those who feel that their sinful choices should be lauded as "courageous" by everyone; especially the Church.

This subject matter, IMO, has absolutely no place within the Advent season and it amazes me that it was included in an Advent retreat. Aren't we supposed to be anticipating the birth of the Messiah? And not navel-gazing on our own shortcomings? That's what I would have liked to ask this Jesuit.

December 05, 2009 5:06 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I knew I shoulda posted on this! Darn! Upstaged by Cathy again!

I think people are boycotting me.

Anyway - I knew this was your 1st week at work and I was thinking of you and praying for you and just wondering how it was going and I'm so happy you have a job.

December 05, 2009 6:48 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: Thanks. It was a great first week!

December 06, 2009 1:52 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Cathy, all I can say is "Yuck!"
I just finished giving a retreat to a prayer group based on the "Our Father" in Pope Benedict's "Jesus of Nazareth" with teachings from Saint John of the Cross...now that was an Advent retreat! Not to brag, but it was tremendous for both me and them; God is so good in giving us His Son and to waste time and energy on this garbage is just...well...anyway.
Glad to hear your first week at work was good. Keep up the great posts...and please pray for this poor priest who needs God's assistance and mercy every moment of every day.

December 06, 2009 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page