November 23, 2009

Tonight I'm Gonna Party Like It's 1969!

A couple people sent me links to my former parish's annual party. You can read it here Don't eat first.

This is not news to me or anyone else in this town. I should stay away from it all but it's like coming upon a car wreck-you can't look away. I used to buy tickets to this show every year back in the day. It is entertaining-if you can get past the inevitable anti-Catholic digs and the venue (more on that towards the end).

Ray said they must have dug deep in their closets for those clothes. "No, they wear that stuff all the time!" I wasn't kidding.

Father Zuhlsdorf has a phrase that he uses: "aging hippie baggage". Never has that phrase seemed truer than the images from that production. Isn't baggage something you are supposed to temporarily carry, but later unpack and put away?

Yet, there are some folks who just can't put it away. They are still carrying it. They think they have evolved and grown and we haven't. When, really, it's the other way around. They are stuck 30 years ago and the Church has, quite frankly, moved on without them.

The word, maturity, comes to mind. Most of us mature in our Faith. Our Faith deepens as we grow older-at least, it SHOULD. For some; I don't know that they have matured in their faith. They will argue that they have the "grown-up" Catholicism and I don't. I'm still confused as to how the definition of "grown-up" means petulantly thumbing ones nose at the Holy Father. Is it different because they aren't sticking their tongues out?

Oddly, "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror Picture Show was not performed. Maybe because it's not from 1969 or maybe some finally draw a line against doing a "pelvic thrust" on the same stage that is used as an altar on Sunday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh dear... and I thought going to a 'seeker sensitive' evangelical church was bad.

Can't we call an exorcist?

Bede

November 23, 2009 9:37 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

I need to have my retinas cleaned. For some reason I envisioned, well, if I share, you'll need to have your retinas cleaned as well.

November 23, 2009 10:37 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Anybody have any steel wool?

November 23, 2009 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page