November 16, 2009

Sisterly Fashion Musings-USCCB Random Thoughts


I'm watching the USCCB proceedings on Telecare.tv Yes, that's the real name of the channel!

I'm fully convinced that every non-habited nun is required by her orders bylaws to wear the following:

*pastel blazer-preferably perma press
*a ghastly silk blouse with a garish abstract design-extra points if it has the neck bow
*a pin on her lapel that says "Hey, I'm a nun!" In case there was any doubt.


The hair must be short, obviously uncolored and shampoo set with a blow comb.

It has never been truer that women are NOT drawn to the religious or consecrated life by the clothes.

Deep curtsy to Vincenzo for helping me screen grab the image!

Oh, the Bishops earn their stripes thru sitting thru this snoozefest. Seriously. If there is ever a meeting that cries out pleading for PowerPoint Karaoke, this is it!!!

Like every bad corporate meeting I've ever been in, there's always someone who wants to discuss items not on the agenda or within the scope of the department. *cough*Trautman*cough* I wonder if someone could be accidentally locked in a closet during the break?


I need one of those big yellow post-it name tags so I know who I am. LOL!

I spotted Bishop Lee Piche in a shot. He stood out-being one of the few men who still has hair, er, a hair color! Dissidents hate these gatherings. All the old white guys, blah, blah, blah. Honestly, who would willingly volunteer to do this stuff? Not me.

Pray for our Bishops!

13 Comments:

Blogger Vincenzo said...

roflmaopimp

November 16, 2009 2:10 PM  
Blogger Argent said...

Don't forget the cross necklace. Points taken if it's a crucifix, y'see.

November 16, 2009 2:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Argent: Yes!

November 16, 2009 3:04 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

And fugly shoes!

November 16, 2009 3:10 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

How can dissidents tell their old white guys from ours?

Maybe because our old white guys wear roman collars and have young friends and theirs don't have either?

November 16, 2009 4:39 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I'm so happy to see you are back on Fashion-watch. There really are no requirements for what the good sisters wear however - good taste is a rarity amongst religious - male or female. It's a fact of life - even Merton noted it. Like most old ladies comfort is the most important, no-iron a second. Short hair is for wash and go. The only good thing about this is that they avoid excessive vanity and practice poverty by buying the cheapest, ugliest polyester clothing they can find.

November 16, 2009 5:35 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angel Baby: Wait, I have fugly shoes! :-)

Ray: Yes.

Ter: I think there is something of profound meaning in your last sentence. I just can't get my head around it!

November 16, 2009 6:25 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

The thing about the habit, for both men and women, is that it is usually very dignified (unless it does not fit properly, something that modernized habits for women religious can sometimes happen; the men wear ankle length tunics or cassocks--no mid-calf habits for them!)and "hides many sins"...(of the physical kind, that is). I also think a veil on Sisters really is very dignified, as well, taking the emphasis off of "fashion" and onto their vocation as consecrated religious.
But I'm a man, what do I know?!!
As for the locking 'someone' in the closet suggestion, from your mouth to God's ears, Cathy...I'll be on it early tomorrow morning at Adoration:<)!

November 16, 2009 9:55 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 17, 2009 11:45 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father NP: I hope not! I feel like I should do reparation for all the bad ideas I'm introducing to your community! :-)

Vin: Her own special breviary!?! That's disturbing.

November 17, 2009 9:46 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

I remeber the Sisters of Providence who taught at my High School in the 70s. They were "experimenting" with make up, and favored the worst colors and types. I mean, the high school girls make up jobs made them look bad!

November 18, 2009 1:23 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

Cathy: Don't worry about it.
We got it all figured out...we have all agreed that the FULL habit is what we want to wear in order to witness to Christ and His Church.
In fact, Sr. has returned to the coif and full veil as a way to witness to her complete oblation to Jesus...people think we're weird and medieval. We just like to think that we're in the Catholic monastic tradition. Go figure!

November 18, 2009 6:29 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Yeah, Father, how unrealistic are those obligations? Geesh.

November 18, 2009 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page