October 09, 2009

Huh?



Gentle Reader: Many, today, are pointing to the inexplicable awarding of President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize as a sign that the Apocalypse is at hand. Many are re-reading Revelation, as I write this, for some symbology they may have missed.

I prefer to think of the award as yet further proof that logic and continuity of thought are not "jumping the shark"; but went straight down the ramp, got eaten by the shark, and vomited upon the coast of Norway.

I keep asking myself: why?

Is it a sympathy vote for losing the Olympics? If so, like winning an Academy Award, does that mean his career is over? Will he be a one term President as Tom Roeser thinks?

Was the award not for anything Obama has done but for the symbolism of what he is? Is the award really a sort of "congratulations for your liberality United States in electing a mixed-race man to the highest office in the land?" pat on our collective backsides?

Are we a world where shallowness and appearance matter more than what a person does? Is that how we define a person now? I'm almost afraid that is the case.

The man has been in office for less than 10 MONTHS! I still see him as largely undefined. Sure, we all know he's no friend to many of the causes I favor but he's not done anything, yet, of historic importance. President Wilson? Yeah. President T. Roosevelt? Sure. They actually mediated major conflicts and helped bring people together. Assisted the cause of peace. Duh!

It's definitely not a "Yes We Can!" but, "Oh No, You Didn't!" day.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People also nominated for the Nobel this year:

Chinese Human Rights Activist Hu Jia - imprisoned for campaigning for human rights in the PRC, not as worthy as Barack Obama.

Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. -- not as worthy as Barack Obama. (Not to mention the symbolic value of awarding a Chinese dissident on the 20th Anniversary of the Tianenmen Square Massacre.)

Greg Mortenson, founder of the Central Asia Institute has built nearly 80 schools, especially for girls, in remote areas of northern Pakistan and Afghanistan over the past 15 years - not as worthy as Barack Obama.

Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, a philosophy professor in Jordan who risks his life by advocating interfaith dialogue between Jews and Muslims, also not as worthy as Barack Obama.

Afghan human rights activist Sima Samar. She currently leads the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission and serves as the U.N. special envoy to Darfur and is apparently also not as worthy as Barack Obama.

October 09, 2009 3:46 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: Yes, he was definitely a shoo-in wasn't he?

October 09, 2009 4:21 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

He was just a lil'black boy who grew up in the Brewster Projects of Detroit Michigan and one day got himself discovered by Oprah Winfrey and his speaking engagement career took off! He makes the world feel good about itself!

October 09, 2009 4:49 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

Terry - don't you mean he grew up in Kenya...I mean, Indonesia....wait, I think it was Hawaii. Shoot, I can't remember now.

Cathy - "jumping the shark" is so last century. I think the new term is "nuking the fridge" (Indiana Jones reference).

October 09, 2009 8:35 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Larry: I thought it was "I don't know I'm making this up as I go!" Yeah, should be. Is Obama even a U.S. citizen? Now, that's SO now!

Terry: I thought that was Diana Ross? Or,is Obama really Diana Ross? Or is it Michael Jackson? I'm so confused.

October 09, 2009 8:44 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Oh - you're right - it was Miss Ross. I'll ask Larry where he was born - I know he lives in Michigan now - Larry, I mean. Are you getting all of this?

October 09, 2009 10:30 PM  
Anonymous L. said...

Anon: I am going to cite your list on my fB page...nice job!

October 10, 2009 7:48 AM  
Blogger Lee Strong said...

When I told my wife - who voted for him (shudder) - even she reacted with, "For What?"

October 10, 2009 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Macabeus said...

Lets make this just a little more meaningless. The nominations for the Peace Prize were closed in Febuary - less than 4 weeks after He assumed office. An Emmy Award might be more fitting, since it is apparant that He is a rousing orator and reader in front of a TV audience.

OK - his intentions for the most part are noble, but the substance is flat out missing. The Norweigans just don't care!

October 10, 2009 12:12 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

Terry - I know that Martha Reeves was born in Detroit. Does that help?

October 12, 2009 7:47 AM  
Blogger Argent said...

Remember, Al Gore won the Oscar. Yes, we are in the Twilight Zone.

October 13, 2009 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page