October 24, 2009

Cat Status Update and Pity Party Pooping Out

Dear Friends in Christ:

Thank you from my whole heart for your prayers. Within an hour of my blog post of last night, Kaylen's temp was down.

However, Sodak's was still up. I was pondering heading to the pet emergency hospital-thankfully, not far from me. But, I decided to wait it out. I prayed.

I'm ashamed to admit that I was concerned about paying for the visit to the emergency hospital. The follow-up care, because of whatever happened at the regular vet is fully covered when I go there, but at the emergency hospital it wouldn't be.

I was awake most of the night checking on both of them; though Kaylen appeared to be pretty much back to normal by midnight.

As of now, Sodak appears to be back to his usual stinker self and his temp is down. Kaylen just unrolled the toilet paper to illustrate to me that she is back too and possibly to make a statement about how crappy this all is! They are both eating and drinking water and using the litter box as normal.

Here's what, as far as we know, happened (non pet owners may want to tune out because you will probably be bored)

I took both cats in to our vet of many years (we saw our usual doctor who knows both of them very well) on Wednesday afternoon. They were due for a regular exam as well as rabies and feline leukemia shots (2 seperate shots). They were fine when we got there. The stool samples I took in checked out normal. Visit went well.

When we came home they were both fine but overnight they got ill. When I got up Thursday morning they were both out in the living room just sitting there. Kaylen was curled up in the rocking chair; Sodak was on the couch. This sounds like nothing but they usually always sleep with me; especially by the time I get up they are both in with me. Kaylen used the litter box but did not bury her waste. For her, this is unheard of. She's quite obsessive and meticulous about it. In fact, I chuckle at her because I've seen her spend 1/2 minute doing it. Sometimes, she'll even go back later and check it and bury it some more until it's to her standards.

I had the nagging feeling something was wrong but I thought maybe they were just upset because they had to go to the vet and they hate it. Payback for me and all that.

At one point, I was in the kitchen and Sodak got up from the couch. He could, seriously, barely move. He moved like he had severe arthritis. Kaylen was moving stiffly as well but not as bad as Sodak. I'd also noticed they had not touched their food or water (unheard of by 11 a.m.). I had picked them both up at one point in the morning and they both cried out.

I knew this was all bad and called the vet with what was going on. They wanted me to bring them both in right away. We went back around noon on Thursday and they gave them pain meds (and some for me to take home) as well as anti-inflammtory and intravenous nutrition (because they hadn't been eating).

The vet was, frankly, baffled. There was no swelling at the injection sites. They think it was the leukemia shot since both cats appear to react more when touched or grabbed on the left side (which is where they gave that shot).

Sodak is 4 and Kaylen is 5. This is not the first time they have had the leukemia shot. They've never reacted to it before. The vet says they are using the same manufacturer as always.

I can see one of them reacting; my guess would be Sodak because he has other allergies which is probably why he got hit harder, but not both of them.

The vet told me to check in with them yesterday (Friday). I did and they were both eating and drinking but still sluggish. I felt they were both "warm". I told them all that. They asked me if I felt they should be seen again. I held off because it's so traumatic for them to go back and I felt they were improving. I felt that hauling them back again would reverse the gains they were making. They are both so petrified to go to the vet as it is. So, we didn't go.

The vet is open today so I knew that was an option.

I just know something is screwed up and this is not normal. I'm going to call on Monday and ask our vet to investigate where the medicine came from. I'd call today but she's not working today. Is this just a bad lot? Have other cats gotten sick? Is this medicine manufactured in a different country than before? It could be the same manufacturer but they could have changed country of origin. China comes immediately to mind.

Next year, I'm not sure we are going to have the leukemia shot. It's not strictly necessary because my cats don't go outside. I don't know.

I'm upset because I wonder what could have happened if my cats were older or had existing health issues. They could have died.

The good news, besides the cats recovery, is my pity party is puttering out. I'm cueing William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" to drive the bad vibes back to their homes screaming! I was mighty cranky yesterday. Yes, at the Lord. It's been an emotional week. I've not said this on the blog yet but my remaining team (from the employer I quit from in April) were laid off on Monday. I realized if I had stuck it out thru all my boss' abuse, I'd still be out of work right now.

I think I just realized (doh!) that the Lord did me a huge favor. At least, I had the summer and a temp job to work then. To be laid off this time of year, pretty much sucks. Also, they only got a two month severance. I know how fast two months passes-especially when you are looking for work.

I openly admit I've been reveling in the fact that my, uh, challenging boss just got canned. I feel bad for my surviving co-worker but I'm having difficulty feeling sympathy for ex-boss. This lack of charity may be a human response but it's not a Christian one. I've added her to my prayer list. I grant you that I pray for her thru gritted teeth but I'm trying.

14 Comments:

Blogger Argent said...

Shall I start singing, "The Party's Over"?

October 24, 2009 12:26 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

It sounds like they may be on the mend.

October 24, 2009 12:27 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Glad to hear your darlings are better!

October 24, 2009 2:25 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks! Yes, Argent, sing it!

October 24, 2009 4:37 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

V told me your babies were ill. Prayed for ya all last night. Glad to hear they are better and things are calming down. I'm a cat person and had them all my life, but hubby is very allergic
:( BBRN and little Catherine want a puppy, but that's not happening until they are old enough to care for it themselves! I wouldn't get the shot for them next year either...totally understand. And, I'm sure they will be happy to not go through that again!

BTW: Maybe you should put on that Hello Kitty dress to make them feel better.

October 24, 2009 5:17 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Swissy: I should, but they don't think that dress is as cool unless Terry shows up with his powder blue tux!

October 24, 2009 9:13 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Aren't you relieved that the cats are cured? Thank God. So get going and apply for your former bosses job - tell them why you left and that you can do a better job. Get moving.

October 24, 2009 9:46 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Whew! I'm glad they are doing better--next year don't get the shots!
And listen to Terry and apply for the job!

October 24, 2009 11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,

I love the comment about praying for your boss thur gritted teeth. That is something I can do for those people in my life for whom I try to pray for but really do not want to.

Also Terry is right. Go back to the company and show them how you can do the job well.

Peace be with you,

Katie

October 25, 2009 9:55 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter, Katie and Tara: The company is going down the crapper-fast and there are other dysfunctions going on there. Not sure I'd want to go back there. They are not going to post any of those jobs. But, it's an idea...

Ter: Yes, I'm very relieved. Thanks for the prayers. Give Agnes and Celine a hug for me.

October 25, 2009 2:22 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm glad your babies are doing better! I've had dogs and I know how pets can become like our 'children'

October 26, 2009 10:01 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

Cathy you wrote, "I'm ashamed to admit that I was concerned about paying for the visit to the emergency hospital."

You shouldn't be ashamed. It's good that you took that into consideration. I always think about those things when I take in a kid or a pet. It's the responsible thing to think about... No guilt.

October 26, 2009 7:30 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Cathy-

I'm glad to hear the kitties are doing better. Such a diplay of affliction would have certainly driven my nerves to the edge.

I hope that you find a job you really enjoy with a boss that appreciates your talents better than that last one. No one wants to be in a position of employment where they are mistreated or slighted. I have prayed for you and I know you're going to do just fine.

And your response to the former boss getting axed is perfectly normal. If in your shoes, I too would struggle with my feelings and the right thing to do.

October 28, 2009 2:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Tom! I hope your test went well. I'll swing by your blog for an update!

October 28, 2009 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page