September 27, 2009

Who am I?

I was thinking today that Catholics know themselves better than anyone. We are so lucky. We are so much more fortunate than non-Catholics. Think about it.

As Catholics, we should be doing a daily examination of conscience. At least, once/day you should examine your conscience to determine your worththiness to receive Communion. As part of the examination, you may determine you need to go to Confession.

Continual examination of conscience usually results in knowing yourself. You get to know your flaws and weaknesses very well. You understand your strengths as well. Self-knowledge is very illuminating.

I’ve certainly learned more about myself since I began doing daily examinations of conscience. I know, will full clarity, that I’m not patient. I often judge others unfairly. I use inappropriate language. I think impure thoughts and sometimes I act upon them. I’m not always a good neighbor. I relish the failures of others. I know when it’s time for me to receive the Sacrament of Confession. Sometimes, they are mortal sins, sometimes they are venial sins. Curiously, I find the venial sins often weigh me down more than mortals. It’s the little weights that add up faster than you realize it and pull you down before you are always aware of what’s happening.

I know most of us hate examinations because it sounds too much like “test”. It is a test. It is all a test. Why not study for it?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Macabeus said...

Thanks for your reflection. It is honest and because of that I hope it spurs others on to follow your example. It is inspires me to recommit to my daily examination of consciensce. It is one on the gifts of our Church.

September 28, 2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger belinda said...

Yes Cathy, It's all too true. Since I have been doing this I have learned a lot about myself. Behaviors that I would rather not be confronted with. Better now that later I suppose.
I struggle with my temper and it was particularly bad this past week when my beloved children let the dog who had been hit by a skunk sleep on my bedding and pillow. Could you hear me yelling from Kansas? Yeah, that was me.

September 28, 2009 2:10 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Very nicely stated, as always. I'm afraid that I, too, am guilty of the things you mentioned on this post. As a matter of fact, I think it's time I made my way through the confessional. It's been a while for me.

And despite the good the will unquestionably come from going to Confession, I'm already starting to feel the butterflies.

September 28, 2009 4:02 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Belinda and Tom!!!! Nothing, just a shout out. So, happy to see you both.

September 28, 2009 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page