September 13, 2009

Eucharistic Adoration: A Step Forward

Recently, a well-known, Catholic newspaper (well-known for it’s frequent distortions and refutations of the Catholicism it is reportedly a part of) printed an editorial by a priest. This man of the cloth ended his article with the assertion that Eucharistic Adoration is a is a “doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward, not forward.”

My reponse was disbelief. Disbelief that a priest would even say such a thing.

I’m blessed to live in an Archdiocese where Eucharistic Adoration chapels are prevalent; both perpetual and occasional. In some parishes, there are additional 40-hour devotions and/or periods of Eucharistic Adoration before or after Holy Mass. I have a scheduled hour of Adoration at my parish each week. I, also, do other random moments with Jesus. See a Eucharistic chapel: stop in.

I can get where Father is coming from. He’s coming from the same background I did. Prior to a few years ago, I’d never even heard of Eucharistic Adoration. I didn’t know what a Novena was. I’d never heard, read or participated in a Litany. I didn’t know the Rosary had Mysteries. I didn’t even know it was a requirement to go to Mass on Sunday. That’s ok though since I couldn’t have recited an Act of Contrition if my life depended upon it, right?

What I did know, and was told, was that the “old” “traditional” and “historic” rituals were all wrong, bad and somewhere in the documents of Vatican II outlawed.

I wonder, now, if there was a motivation behind the people perpetuating the idea that old was bad and irrelevent. Some of them should have known better. Maybe they honestly didn’t. Maybe they truly believed the ---- they were shoveling. In my angrier moments, I wonder if there were darker motivations at work.

Father also said: “Now that most Catholics are literate and even well-educated, the Mass is in the language of the people (i.e, the vernacular), and its rituals are relatively easy to understand and follow, there is little or no need for extraneous eucharistic devotions. The Mass itself provides all that a Catholic needs sacramentally and spiritually.”

Are we as Catholics literate and well-educated today? I wonder what he really means by that statement. Were my great-grandparents and forefathers stupid? I’d take the simple and uneducated faith, if what Father says is true, over the “enlightened” literacy of most Catholics today any day.

I used to think that I was so much better informed and educated than the Catholics of decades and centuries past who spent all day at Church in prayer. Who needs that? I’ve got things to do. Besides Father just told us the Mass is all we need. I used to think that too; just spend one hour a week with Jesus and then do whatever you want the other 39 hours of the week. Well, considering how many times I skipped Mass (remember, I didn’t even know it was required to attend on Sunday) and there are many weeks that the Mass alone was apparently not enough.

Let me brutally honest: the average Catholic today is stupid. The poorest Catholic peasant in the darkest of the so-called Dark Ages knew more than most modern Catholics about the Faith and what receiving Communion really meant.

That’s why, in my humble opinion, Eucharistic Adoration is more necessary than ever. So many Catholics have no idea what the Real Presence is or that they are consuming more than a wheat “wafer” at Mass. If that’s true, why not just go sit out in a wheat field and worship and pray over the grain stalks?

Eucharistic Adoration was critical to my reversion to the Faith. The critical piece of my reversion was the deepening of my understanding of the Real Presence. Once you wonder why anyone would spend one hour; much less five minutes, before a monstrance containing the Blessed Sacrament you start to wonder what the big deal is. Once you do it yourself, you are on your way to accepting the Real Presence. I challenge anyone to spend one hour before the Blessed Sacrament alone in a Chapel and feel nothing. You won’t.

Once you spend regular time before the Blessed Sacrament, you start to recognize the enormity of receiving the Eucharist at Holy Mass. Pretty soon you are examining your conscience, pretty soon you are at Confession, pretty soon you start wondering why wackiness at Liturgy is appropriate, before you know it you are praying every day. Before you know it, you realize just Mass, while important, is not enough to sustain you for 40 hours/week. You want to be with the Lord all the time. You want to learn more about Him. When you love someone, you want to be with them all the time; you want to learn all you can about them. Adoration will teach you that kind of love.

Pretty soon your whole life will change. Eucharistic Adoration is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step forward, not backward. If this is ignorance, than it's, truly, bliss.

14 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Great post, Cath!

Hmmmmmmm. "Besides Father just told us the Mass is all we need."

What do you think the probability is that Father, who hasn't had a Roman Collar around his neck in 20 or more years, adheres the words and movements of the General Instructions of the Roman Missal (GIRM)? [Say the Black, Do the Red]

With respect to my hospital apostolate, I would not be able to do that if I did not engage in eucharistic adoration (before the tabernacle) before and after my visits.

I need His help; and I must thank Him for it afterwards.

September 13, 2009 9:31 PM  
Anonymous L. said...

Wonderful post and good to see you back here blogging!

September 14, 2009 8:42 AM  
Blogger Recovering Procrastinator said...

Great post. I'm not always on the same page as you, but on this one, I agree with every word.

September 14, 2009 10:50 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Recovering Procrastinator: Curiously, most of the regular readers of the online version of this paper, also disagreed with Father. I say, curious, because I think even his hardcore readers realize he went too far.

September 14, 2009 2:44 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Over the weekend, Father incorporated children's Adoration into the prayer group. Seems the kids, in their innocence, get it more than some ordained guys do.

September 15, 2009 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely with you, and wish that it were possible for me to spend time at Adoration. The nearest chapel is 30 min away by car, and I don't have one. Praying for that to change... It's so true that when you spend time with Jesus in the Bl. Sacrament, you develop an increasing respect for and sense of the Real Presence. And yes, unfortunately, most Catholics today are dumb as a bag of hammers -- and worse yet, they want to stay that way!

September 15, 2009 7:47 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Anon.

While engaging in adoration before an exposed consecrated host in a monstrance is desirable and edifying, surely it would be just as praiseworthy to spend that time in a church before the closed tabernacle.

We just called them "visits" in the olden days.

There must be a church or shrine that is open at convenient times nearer to you.

And if not, an hour of prayer before a crucifix, holy picture, icon or statue to aid in contemplation would also be extremely pleasing to Our Lord.

That could be in a special dedicated room in your home, or in a corner of your bedroom.

September 15, 2009 8:23 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

I was backward and stupid today. I mean, more backward and stupid than usual.

September 15, 2009 10:45 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

If Catholics are so literate and better educated these days, why are so many complaining about the upcoming changes in the new translation? Maybe they're not as smart and literate as The Priest gives them credit?

And if they are so smart, why do they complain about the Latin Mass? Aren't they smart enough to figure out how to follow along?

Soooo confused am I.

/sarc off

September 16, 2009 6:27 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Nan: Eh?

Ray: Good point.

Larry: "So Confused am I?"--is that a Cole Porter song? ;-)

September 16, 2009 8:47 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

Sorry, didn't complete the thought outside my head. I went to Daily Mass since I'm pretty backward. Followed by Adoration.

I didn't get the memo about Mass being enough.

September 17, 2009 7:33 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

I am thankful for the last 25 years of praying before our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Our community spends around four hours each day (three hours in the early morning before the Sacrament Exposed with Office and Adoration). This is an awesome privelege. May many more be drawn to the Eucharistic Savior.

September 19, 2009 3:14 PM  
Blogger nazareth priest said...

As I was reading through these comments I would like to encourage a venerable tradition to make a Holy Hour in one's own home when one cannot go to a church; uniting to the nearest tabernacle, adoring the Lord Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. This was encouraged by Fr. Matteo, known for his Enthronement of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the home. This is very pleasing to God and brings many blessings upon the home and the world.

September 20, 2009 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Cath!!!

I was also in utter disbelief when I came across that article a few days back.

Great suggestion, Nazareth Priest!

~Gette

September 23, 2009 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page