August 02, 2009

Cultic vs Servant Model of the Priesthood

..brought to us by folks who want us to think the cultic model is a bad word. Honestly, "cultic" is a "bad" word because all priests are servants. Any true priest that I've ever known, in no way, expects or demands that we worship him, exalt him, or treat him in a manner he doesn't deserve.

That said, do I think that priests are better than laypeople? No, they can sin as badly as the rest of us. Again, any true priest I've ever known is quick to point out their failings.

However, do I NOT take what I just said above and make a leap into demanding that because priests can be as flawed as laypeople; that laypeople should be consecrating the Body and Blood of Our Lord at Holy Mass, because WTH(eck) we are all equally as bad.

Laypeople lack what the priest has: their hands are not consecrated. I know. I can hear some of you whining: "Why does that matter?" It matters. I, and many of you reading this blog, do not have the authority vested in us by our local Ordinary to consecrate the Host. Pretenders can play at mass all they want; that's what it is: playing.

Am I running around demanding laypeople quit serving at the altar? Well...no, it is what it is. However, no matter how many armies of EMHC's there may be at any given Mass, there can be only one MAN (assuming other priests are not present and co-consecrating) doing the heavy lifting. Consecrating and Lifting. Really. Look at him raising Jesus before us on The Cross.

I can't give you that.

I can forgive you for ticking me off but I can't give you Absolution in the Confessional either-the kind of Absolution some of you may require before you may present yourself for Communion. Only our priests, acting in the person of Christ using the authority granted them and who have the appropriate faculties to hear Confessions, may do that.

Some people take the idea of the servant model WAY to far. I know, I lived it. They push it to, in their minds, make the structure circular rather than hierarchal. They bend the Mass to fit their mindset-rules be danged. Hierarchy is another bad word to some. No matter how much you try to force the pyramid into the circle, God is still above all of us. Period.

Check out this major announcement, Pastor's 2Cents, at my old mater ecclesia here. This is MAJOR stuff. Some gripe, but obviously The Chancery has been watching and paying attention.

Please, in your charity, continue to pray for Fr. DeB. He's got an extremely tough gig. I know he does. Some of you complain that he's not severe enough, he's not fast enough..He has made, what seem to you minor changes, but to me who used to be there, they are major.

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

It is almost a different religion over there.

August 02, 2009 4:24 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I haven't gone over there,yet. I had to read this rant three or four times, savoring the delicious choice of words.

Nobody but nobody can top C of A when she embarks upon another rant. I totally agree and haven't found out "what they've done now."

August 02, 2009 4:40 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

That place is a horror...

August 02, 2009 6:32 PM  
Blogger Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

Nicely said, CathAlex!

August 02, 2009 7:57 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

"protesting the Archbishop's ordering us to follow the Roman Rite"?
WTHeck???? If you're not following the Roman Rite it's pretty hard to call yourself Roman Catholic, no?

Cathy I'm confused (by many things)- if they have a church (building) why are their Sunday "liturgies" in a gym?

August 03, 2009 10:11 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Chris: The family/children's liturgy is in the Church (which was completely wreckovated about 30 years ago), the others are in the gym. There are 4 masses every Sunday: 2 in Church, 2 in Gym-slightly different start times but there is a time overlap.

They are a huge parish. They'd have trouble getting everyone into the Church. Still, they could probably manage it if they staggered the start times/added more. They have 2 FT priests.

August 03, 2009 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page