July 26, 2009

The Year of The Priest

Many of you know we are one month into the Year of the Priest.

I've been reflecting upon what that means. Yes, the Year of the Priest is for ALL OF US! We all have a stake in the priesthood. We need priests to administer the sacraments on our behalf.
I've been wondering if I'm too hard and demand too much of priests sometime. Am I unfair? Do I do too much muttering? Sure, "be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect" is for all of us but should I worry more about MY attainment of said goal than my friendly neighborhood priests attainment of my perceptions of the same goal?

Consider the following true stories:

* A priest who gives rambling disjointed homilies that leave you yawning and scratching your head perplexed. Yet, same priest gives a by the book Mass.
* A priest who is completely tone deaf and can't identify Beethoven from Haas but is overjoyed at the thought of introducing chant to his daily Mass.
* A priest who falls asleep during the Epistle and Psalm at Mass. Yet, he'll sit in the Confessional for hours even when there is no one waiting.
* A priest who enjoys liturgical dance. Yet, when someone does not show up for their Adoration hour at 3:00 a.m., rather than shut it down, he takes their place and waits, reading Scripture, until the next Adorer shows up.
* A priest who shakes everyones hand at the Sign of Peace yet writes heartbreakingly self-reflectively honest bulletin columns about his unworthiness to be a priest and administer the Sacraments.
* A priest who is not concerned about the footwear the altar girls and boys are wearing but does all he can to foster vocations to the religious, priestly and consecrated life.
* A priest who offers an "anything goes" Mass but volunteers to ride 500 miles for an AIDS hospice fundraiser.
* A priest who wears atrociously shabby robes and doesn't know 30 words in Latin, but spends every day on the street spreading the Gospel and assisting the homeless in finding shelter every night.

I've made a plan. Rather than gripe about what the priest is, or is not doing, I'm going to just shut up and pray. Pray for more vocations and pray for our priests. It's the least I can do. Sure, egregious abuse and error is serious and worthy of comment, but I feel like I often do more nitpicking than good.

Prayer is good. Prayer is my plan for the Year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lee Strong said...

I know I am prone to judge, and to miss the holiness in others because I was focusing on some blemish. Thank you for this thoughtful post.

July 27, 2009 9:27 AM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Ya know, some days I'm just proud to read your blog!

July 27, 2009 9:34 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This is a very convicting post - beautifully done. Thanks very much. I'm deeply impressed.

July 27, 2009 4:10 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks Lee and Redneck!

Terry: convicTing? I'm sure it's a typo but, well, I laughed! LOL!

July 27, 2009 6:32 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

It wasn't a typo.

July 27, 2009 7:22 PM  
Blogger Quantitative Metathesis said...

This is possibly the best post of yours that I have ever read. Thank you. Brava!

July 27, 2009 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page