July 14, 2009

Hold Onto Your Citrine Globe!

There was a very interesting article in the Pioneer Press on Monday regarding a controversy in the local New Age movement. The Edge, a local New Age magazine, has a new editor and the editor is raising questions about how large the umbrella of New Age should be.

What should New Age include? What, if anything, should it exclude? The editor thinks channeling, paganism and animal possesion are out. Belief in fairies, and astrology are in. Other New Age practioners weigh-in for the article.

One person quoted says New Age must cover everything and anything. It must not exclude. Even belief in Jesus can be part of New Age.

Take comfort, Anglicans, that you are not the only communion conflicted. The New Age communion is too.

I read this article and I was grateful, once again, to be a Catholic Christian. My experience with the New Age movement is that it IS everything. It is cafeteria faith. Pick what you want. Believe what you want. You, you, you...

Despite what I said above, New Age is NOT a communion. You can't get two New Agers in a room and have them agree 100% on their individual practices or what they believe. They have no head. It's limbs with no body. It's individualistic.

Sometimes, you can't get two Catholics in a room and have them agree on their own professed faith. A tragedy.

But, there is a difference. To accept Catholicism in full removes the uncertainty. It is a communion. It is to be in Communion with Christ. Do I think Communion with Christ is better than communion with a nature diva? Absolutely.

I know to deal in absolutes these days is "out", everyone wants everything to be grey. Not me. My faith is clearly defined.

New Age is so much of everything that ultimately it's nothing.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

I think of it as disorganized religion. No matter how they slam organized religion, they do their best to emulate it.

July 14, 2009 9:39 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

You can't get two New Agers in a room and have them agree 100% on their individual practices or what they believe.

Thanks, Cath. I spent a lot of time (and money)in the 80s and 90s experimenting with various New Age techniques. In fact I got a lot of value out of one of them when I applied what I learned to my core Catholic beliefs.

It ultimately (with no little assistance from Grace) brought me back to the Church.

But I never met anybody else who had the same experiences.

July 14, 2009 9:52 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

New Age makes less and less sense when you enter into middle age--unless you're trying desperatly not move into middle age and wish to pose as a wise healer.

Like Ray, I wasted much of myself with the new age stuff in the 90's.

Interestingly enough--nobody gets a string of lifetimes as a peasant or janitor in their past life regressions--they've all been royalty or priestesses or something.

and nobody ever gets, say, a planarian as their power animal--it's always white tigers, or wolves or something. Heck, I'd be impressed by a meadow vole!

July 15, 2009 3:34 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Redneck: Your comment reminds me of a dialogue in Bull Durham when "Crash" notes to "Annie" how come everyone in a past life is someone famous? Why not just a regular guy?

July 16, 2009 8:31 AM  
Blogger LarryD said...

If all the regular folks today used to be someone famous in a past life, then who did today's famous people used to be? Were they the normal folks? Do they take turns?

Someday, someone in the future will say "in a past life, I was Lindsay Lohan", and someone will slap her. Hard.

July 16, 2009 3:48 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I suppose in centuries to come, there will be lots of New Agers claiming to be reincarnated Cathy of Alex and they will have to specify which one. That will make life very complicated for them.

I s'pose we could help them out by beginning to refer to "Our Cathy" as "Ninja Cathy of Alex" (as opposed to "Broken Spinning Wheel Cathy of Alex.") It will be much easier for them to say.

July 16, 2009 4:37 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

The New Age movement has struck in many churches today through the false teachings offered in too many of them.

July 17, 2009 10:00 PM  
OpenID zyphane said...

The problem with New Age beliefs is that they are not reasonable.

July 18, 2009 1:32 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

"New Age is so much of everything that ultimately it's nothing."
.
What did I tell you - it's not real.

Larry - that is funny - slap her real hard. I am laughing out loud.

July 18, 2009 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page