July 28, 2009

Catholic Saint Paul

One of the great things about my current gig (besides HAVING a current gig!), is I'm really getting to know my city: Saint Paul, Minnesota. I love Saint Paul anyway.

I'm partial to the oddities: neighborhoods in hollows, neighborhoods surrounded by railroads, streets no wider than a man, old cobblestones poking out from underneath the overlays, industrial properties in the middle of the neighborhoods their workers lived in, parishes within one mile of another one (sometimes even closer than that), old brick office buildings and homes, Lowertown, Dayton's Bluff, Frogtown, Capital Heights, Rice Street and Cathedral Hill.


I'm on my route today, canvassing commercial properties, and I cross myself as I pass St. Louis, King of France on my way to an historic office building nearby where inside I get a pleasant surprise at the end of the first floor hallway...


It's poorly lit, but it is Our Lady being Assumed into Heaven.
I was extremely happy. I feel like she's my secret. Imagine working in an office building with Our Lady! I wonder that some of the significance is lost on the people who work in this building?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Cathy I've been in this building - my best friend works in one of the offices there. This building used to be a convent for nuns who worked at St. Louis King of France parish. Many of the original artwork is still there and the overall decor is beautiful. Thank you for posting these pictures.

July 28, 2009 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Thomas said...

Wonderful picture thanks for posting it.

God Bless,

Thomas

July 28, 2009 2:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Sanctus Belle: Thanks! I suspected there was some Church connection and was going to research the building. That explains why the offices are so small.

July 28, 2009 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page