June 28, 2009

In the Heart of the Savior

Gentle Reader: This weekend is Bishop-elect Lee Piche's last as a parish priest before his Ordination Mass to the office of Auxiliary Bishop tomorrow afternoon.

Below is Bishop-elect Piche's last bulletin column for the Church of St. Andrew, my parish. I want you all to see what kind of a man he is and realize how blessed we truly are to have him, not only as Bishop, but also and forever, as priest.

I did not ask His Excellency for permission to reprint his column and post it online. Let this be his first experience of being talked about online. Oh, wait, ok it's not his first, but whatever... LOL!

I will not be able to be at the events on Monday. But, I've been kissing his hand for some time now so I beat you all to it! LOL! Ask him. LOL!

"Never did I think that I would be writing my final bulletin article at Saint Andrew's after such a short time. There were so many things yet to say, so much territory yet to explore with you. I was just getting warmed up! I hope that the reflections I did write have helped you a little on your pigrimage of faith.

I write this on Sunday evening, June 21, having just returned from my retreat. During those quiet hours, my mind turned often to thoughts of you. At first, I was remembering with gratitude the many blessings I have experienced here at St. Andrew's parish.

But gradually my thoughts turned from "what has been" to "what might have been"-which I suppose is only natural when one is engaged in retrospective thinking. I thought of all the home visits I could have made, the parish events I could have promoted, the pastoral initiatives and ideas I could have introduced.

I regretted not making more time to meet with our small but dedicated parish staff, and not taking more opportunities to socialize with parishioners or to offer some overdue recognition and support to our many volunteers. I was hoping to take our altar servers on a fun outing this summer, and I had formed some thoughts for renewal and spiritual nourishment for our liturgical ministers.

These realizations led my mind in turn to the impulse to ask your forgiveness for any of the ways that I may have slighted or neglected anyone at any time during this past year.

While mulling on these things, I came upon a reading in the Liturgy of the Hours for the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. In one of his sermons, Saint Lawrence Justinian said, "God places more value on good will in all we do than on the works themselves." I read this sentence over several times; it was wonderfully consoling.

One thing I have found in this faith-filled community is a likeness to God in so many parishioners. Since God places more value on good will than on the works themselves, I have good reason to hope that you also will see the good will in my meager efforts, and will pardon the shortcomings.

The good will in your hearts has really been evident to me from the beginning. I shall be eternally grateful for your prayerful support, your words of encouragement, and your example of faith, hope and love in generous service.

And so I leave you. When I feel sadness for having to be away from the people I love, one though gives me comfort. Wherever they may happen to be, I imagine them living inside the heart of Christ-for, after all, isn't that what he promised us when he told that He loves us even as the Father loves us?

As I leave, I know that I will often go to the heart of the Savior, and in the heart I will find all those whom I love. Moreover, it is in that best and safest of all places that I look forward to spending all eternity with the people who have met so much to me on earth."--+LEP

Please remember Bishop-elect Piche in your prayers.

"Be Not Afraid"

7 Comments:

Blogger Vincenzo said...

Praying for him

June 28, 2009 12:54 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I attended the funeral of Fr. Tim Vakoc at the Cathedral on Friday. Bishop Piche' was one of the many concelebrants.

I stayed after to make a visit. Bishop Piche' did likewise. I do believe we are blessed with another holy bishop.

June 28, 2009 8:49 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

I'm looking forward to attending tomorrows ordination.

June 28, 2009 2:29 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Nan: Kindly pray for me there.

June 28, 2009 3:49 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

He is a wonderful, virtuous man.

June 28, 2009 4:26 PM  
Anonymous L. said...

just beautiful...been away for the past week visiting my folks. you're in my prayers too!

June 28, 2009 7:37 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Cathy, I'll definitely pray for you.

June 28, 2009 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page