June 01, 2009

Faithful Dissent

Another post about contradictions and ironies today. Must be a "kick" I'm on. Maybe, it's because I'm a walking contradiction. Who isn't?

Yesterday, at the Cathedral of St. Paul, Rainbow Sash Alliance had their annual Pentecost protest. They wear rainbow sashes and buttons, obviously declaring their seperation from the Church, yet they expect to be able to receive Communion.

Communion means "communion" to be part of a group or community. You are obviously not part of the group if you set yourself apart from it.

A frequent slogan of the seperated is "faithful dissent". A contradiction. You cannot be faithful to a thing as you are dissenting from it.

"Discontented Catholic". Also a contradiction in terms. You have the fullness of The Truth. How can you be unhappy?

I'm sad that there are Catholics who have trouble accepting the fullness of The Truth. I wish they'd rejoin the community. But, to do that fully and faithfully means being one with us-all of us.

I'm sad that there are people who sat outside the Cathedral yesterday and had their own "eucharistic" meal. But, I give them credit for their honesty. They are outside the Church both literally and figuratively.

There is never a good time for rudeness and name calling. I'm sorry if any of that happened.

Peace.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chotock said...

The day I decided to resign as a member of an RCIA team at a rather ntoable parish in my area, I had to endure a deacon advocate "loyal dissent" in responce to a question one of our candidates had asked me (I was instructing the class at the time). I darn near lost it right then and there, but I somehow made it home before letting out my disapointment.

June 01, 2009 3:01 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Cath - no offense, but sitting outside like that was just pathetic and dumb and incredibly weak. Don't give them credit. Crap - I played at having my own Mass a few times too before I finally relaized the truth - I just didn't do it publicly. That was juvenile and asinine. Now is not the time to be pretending.

June 01, 2009 9:14 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: You make a good point. Playacting at 'mass' is not a good thing. However, I think I would be more upset if they had gone in and acted at being worthy to receive Communion and gone ahead and done it. That's what I was getting at. But, neither is ideal.

I am sad that a fellow blogger may have been rude to them. I know it's easy to get upset and angry but we need to hang onto our charity as much as possible.

June 02, 2009 10:16 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Agreed - I have issues too.

June 02, 2009 12:56 PM  
Blogger Vir Speluncae Orthodoxae said...

Rudeness is relative. Calling a spade a spade isn't 'rude'. Jesus called people 'names' too. Was our Lord uncharitiable to call Peter "satan" or the pharisees and saducees "hypocrities" or Herod "the fox"?

These people just don't have the intellectual honesty to go to the episcopal coven like the heretics they are. Their god is "Me'.The Archbishop should just anathematize them and be done with it because they will not repent but remain steadfast in their iniquities.

Admonishing sinners is a chief spiritual work of mercy, and remaining silent is a way of participating in the sin of another.

Remember that the same chapter that begins "Judge not" also says with "Not everyone who sayeth unto me 'Lord, Lord' shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but he who doeth the will of my Father...and I will say unto them, I never knew you. Depart from me you who practice lawlessness!"

June 07, 2009 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to agree with you, although for differing reasons. The Church cannot be reformed, any more than the Soviet Union could be reformed, or the Iranian mullahcracy.

It should instead be subjected to a policy of "containment" (to use the phrase of the late George F Kennan in his 1947 article, "The Sources of Soviet Conduct"). That is to say that the citizens of democratic nations must block political initiatives emanating from the Vatican or its 'fellow-travelers' at every turn and on every level, from the U.N. to their local town or county councils.

Catholic laypersons who are weary of being resolutely ignored except for being hit up for Peter's Pence, should instead direct their collection money to other, worthier causes. There is nothing quite like the power of the purse for bringing absolute despotism to heel.

Sorry to spoil the fun. Now its time for everyone to go back to parroting the party line--every jot and tittle of it, if you know what's good for you (and you don't, to hear Rome tell it).

June 18, 2009 2:50 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: To follow your line of thought: At what point to the Catholic internment camps need to be erected to "contain" us?

June 18, 2009 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page