June 14, 2009

Corpus Christi Procession 2009 A.D.

Today, was the annual Corpus Christi Procession of the Archdiocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis. I was really happy to be there again this year. I was out of town last year and the town I was visiting does not have a Procession. I was surprised to realize how much I missed it and vowed to be in town this year.

It was warm and sunny with highs in the 80s. It was humid.

The route starts from the Holy Family Residence home maintained by the Little Sisters of the Poor near Irvine Park which is below the huge hill the Cathedral sits on. The route is about one mile. It goes around the park, near the River Centre, crosses W 7th near the Xcel Center (Il Divo is coming if anyone cares!) and climbs the steep incline in front of Hayden Hall on Kellogg Blvd. I know it was steep because even one of the Cantors was puffing and gasping while trying to sing thru the mic! God bless her.

Bishop-elect Lee Piche carried the monstrance in the procession. I hope Father Joseph Johnson, Rector of the Cathedral, and a veteran of several of these processions, gave him pointers. LOL! Father Johnson gave a homily at the Cathedral.

The Cathedral was only about half full. More people turned out for the Rosary Procession last month than this procession. Maybe the heat kept people away or the fact of life in Minnesota that once school is out everyone leaves town on the weekend. Maybe both.

I amuse myself during these Processions by noting the folks who look annoyed, bemused, angry or hostile. Today, I did not see anyone with 'tude. Mostly, we are just ignored in Procession. Fine. Ignore me. But, ignore the Lord? I observed the folks in the bar on W 7th pointing at us and continuing on with their drinking. For some the Sabbath has been completely forgotten. If they ever knew it to begin with. I know not every one realizes the Blessed Sacrament is the Lord. That saddens me as well. Pray for conversions.

The starting point: Holy Family Residence of the Little Sisters of the Poor. One of the Sisters waited at the door to welcome us with her big smile. When I'm aged and infirm I'd want to live here.

St. Joseph with the joyous Child Jesus welcomes us in the garden of the residence.

The altar in the garden

My Lord and My God!

Bishop-elect Piche prepares the incense

Starting out

The front

Another view of the Lord

The Procession wraps around the Irvine Park fountain-one of the most beautiful spots in the city of St. Paul.

Nearing the Cathedral

On the steps

That's it! I don't take photos inside-distracts me from the business at hand. Not even sure I like taking photos in procession. I need to think about that.

Thank you to all the priests, seminarians, religious and volunteers who help make this event such a wonderful occasion.

8 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Wow - that is a lot of people. Beautiful - thanks for the photos.

June 14, 2009 10:07 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Ours was much smaller and no canopy and we only had incense inside the church. We only encountered 5 people going around the block but that's better than none!

Photos on my blog.

June 15, 2009 1:14 AM  
Blogger Argent said...

Lovely, lovely. I love it when Jesus is taken out to the streets.

Our procession was humid, too, and we cantors were puffing because it was so hot. All for Jesus!

June 15, 2009 6:53 AM  
Blogger Georgette said...

What a nice procession and a good size turnout! Thanks for sharing the photos :)

June 15, 2009 7:36 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

oh by the way, Cath, I recently whittled my facebook down to family (my side of the family only) and friends I know "in real life" only -- mostly cuz my sis was freaking to me on the phone about how anything she writes to me could be seen by so many strangers, LOL...and I realize that I have met you online, too, but somehow I feel like I know you in real life--so you're stayin' on :) Being a female helps, too, sis not so freaked out by it.

(I do miss catching up with the other blogger buddies, though, but I wasn't doing much on FB these days, anyway--I'm so lazy!)

June 15, 2009 7:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Gette: I'd be massivily bummed if I'd been taken off! Thanks!

June 15, 2009 9:06 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Cath - was that you on Judge Judy today?

June 16, 2009 10:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: I was in disguise!

June 17, 2009 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page