April 04, 2009

Justified Anger

Are there situations when anger is justified?

I've been angry a lot lately.

I'm angry when I'm trying to pray in a silent church and people walk in with the sole intention of chatting. I've been so outrageous on more than one occasion as to dare to ask them to be quiet because people are praying. I was not shouting or angry sounding but I was firm. Ever since then, these same folks, every time they see me in church mutter at me or point me out to their friends who were not there. Guess, I really am a librarian telling people to "shush". Unfortunately, my hair is currently too short to make a nice looking bun. I brought this anger before the Lord (not regarding my coiffure but my anger at these people) in the Confessional. I was worried that my anger was leading to bad judgement. Every time I saw the folks in question I wanted to slap them. That is not a good thing. I laugh about it now and am trying to work thru it all! Confession helps. Really.

I've been angry at my neighbors who insist they are within their rights to keep the entire neighborhood awake with their parties, fights and barking dogs. I don't want to fight them.I just want them gone. Maybe they have the right to use their property as they wish, but I have the right to be able to sleep within my own house.

It is acceptable to get angry. The sin is the reaction to it or from it. Obviously, if I'd yelled at the chatterboxes in Church or deliberately dropped a kneeler on their foot I'd sin. If I started a fistfight with my neighbors I'd be in sin.

Anger can be justified, the reaction may not be.

8 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

I could have written this post. My husband could have. What drives him nuts (and me too) is when the perps act like victims. What say you, Cathy of Alex?!

April 04, 2009 10:35 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Remember that time you got so mad at Adoro and pushed her in the mud and then you two started wrestling and...

April 05, 2009 3:04 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I thought it was jello?!

April 05, 2009 4:38 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Yep! Every time I ask Father Bill if I have a right to be angry, his answer is always yes. Buuuuuut - it's what I do with that anger that's important.

April 05, 2009 5:30 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I became a "pharisee", one who sits as close to the front as possible. Well, never in the first three pews, but close.

The reason I did this because of the view further back of all the hugging and back and neck rubs by young (and old) lovers whose minds are not at all on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

A few times I have said something. Often it was a reminder that they were not in a "movie theater", accompanied by a severe glare. Once the couple just resumed it more ostentatiously; another time, I ended up leaving and going to Mass at a different parish; but one time the man later turned around, thanked me and shook my hand.

But if I can't stop it, I don't want to witness it. So I always sit "up with the Pharisees", or at least right behind them.

April 05, 2009 7:51 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: If that's true why do you always object when I want to sit up front? :-)

Ter: I told you never to mention that!

Angela: Yes, AND I won. End of story.

Adrienne: Eat more bacon. LOL!

April 05, 2009 9:54 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Now that your going to find a new job--you can let go of the "critical spirit." It will happen in time.

April 06, 2009 11:16 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tara: I agree.

April 07, 2009 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page