April 25, 2009

The Happy Hunting Ground...Things That Make Me Go Hmmmm...

Today, I quit thinking that the looming clouds were actually going to yield rain and put the garden hose to use. I watered my garden beds. It's been warm here for the last week. 60 and 70s. The high yesterday was 75 which is almost unheard of this time of year.

So, my gardens need water. We've not had any precip for about a week.

My yard is fenced in and I have several shrubs and trees. Also, I don't have any kids or dogs running around in the yard. Thus, my yard is often a haven for little critters.

It is also a prime hunting ground for a local hawk. In fact, I think it's the same hawk. He's decided to stake out my yard. I see him occasionally on top of the telephone pole in the back. I believe he's a Merlin and I saw him today-sitting on top of one of my favorite cardinals. I've seen his, er, residue at other times. I have to give him credit, he's a clean killer. He doesn't leave much-usually only a few feathers or tufts of hair from the rabbits he's killed.

I'm watering my garden beds about a 1/2 hour prior to seeing Mr. Merlin with his lunch, and I scare up 6 little bunnies out of the day lillies. The day lillies are just barely up but enough of a stalk is up for the little bunnies to hide in. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mr. Merlin is lurking. He probably wanted one of the bunnies but settled for the cardinal who was unfortunate enough to be minding his own business and....wham!

I know the bunnies have been gnawing on my tulip leaves. I'm sure they are just waiting to chop off the tops of my tulips. Oh, wait, maybe that's the squirrels. In any case, Mr. Merlin is one of my best friends.



I, also, recollected a certain blogger, I won't mention names, let's just call him "Mr. Last Days of Disco", telling me his yard friend, Mrs. Rabitowitz was preggers a few weeks ago. I'm not making any outright accusations that "Mr Dynamite" came up from the south side in the middle of the night and dumped his bunnies in my yard, but the timing seems a tad suspicious. Especially, since "Mr. Can't Stop the Music" was complaining to me about the rabbits eating his plants at the same time he noted his yard rabbit was preggers.

It's all good though, Mr. Merlin wants to thank him. Yesssssss.....WHAM!

16 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Sounds to me like a mediator might be needed at the home of Ms. C of A.

I'm pretty inexpensive, but then I'm pretty slow. But you both would be totally satisfied with the wisdom and soundness of my methods.

I might be willing to take payments in veggies and bouquets during the summer months.

April 25, 2009 5:40 PM  
Anonymous L. said...

Mr. Merlin needs to fly east...he'd have a huge feast in our backyard! The bunnies are plump from gnawing down my burning bushes.
Yes, we do need some good rain!

April 25, 2009 6:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

L: I'll send him when I'm done with him! LOL!

Ray: What? No beer?

April 25, 2009 7:55 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Grizzly murders - I have a hawk too - found some rabbit fur. I hate to see a Cardinal get it - they mate for life y'know - means there is gonna be a widow. Mrs. R doesn't get upset over nature thinning the herd. I saw her eating bark off my shrubs this morning - rabbits can be so disappointing sometimes. I'm still a little angry 'bout it.

April 25, 2009 8:03 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Oh yeah - I was going to post a video of disco lessons today - isn't it odd you should refer to me that way?

April 25, 2009 8:06 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Odd, no? Nice hair, did you just get it done? Are the rumors of a reality TV show true?

April 26, 2009 12:33 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I look younger with it all combed forward like that - don't you think. (Eat your heart out Ray!)

April 26, 2009 2:09 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Hey!!!!

Now you're getting personal. I might have to start distributing copies of that photo that I have of you in your fave saffron colored Nehru jacket.

I suppose I could get plugs like Biden, but he got his 20 years ago and they still look pretty lame.

I do look pretty good in a derby, but they won't let me wear it at Mass, so that's out.

I guess I'll go for the steroid induced wrestler look and start wearing a do-rag on dates and other formal occasions (even though I don't need to wear one. I still have 382 hairs up there. When I get down to 60, I suppose I'll call it quits).

April 26, 2009 4:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

I'm wondering at what point Ray decided he needed to look like Hulk Hogan?

April 27, 2009 8:07 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I saw the Hulk once at the St. Paul Civic Center a long time ago. Admittedly, he was a great showman. But interestingly, the fights in the crowd in attendance were more interesting that those in the ring when one is sitting as far back as I was.

I saw a couple of Hulk wannabees (Hawk and Animal, the Road Warriors, both Minnesota kids) at a bar across the street from where I worked that had become a bit of a wrestler hangout (Dr. Joyce Brothers hung out there too). The biceps on those two wannabees were incredible, maybe more than most beauty queens' waists. 26" or so.

One of them died already. No doubt from the steroids.

http://tinyurl.com/5kd7pr

April 27, 2009 6:21 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 27, 2009 8:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: That was the best comment ever. I'm astounded that you managed to tie in wrestling with Dr. Joyce Brothers. Tell me you hung out at Moby Dick's back in the day!

Deep curtsy, bro

April 27, 2009 8:56 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Well, when Dr. Joyce won her pile on the 64,000 question back in the 50s or 60s, her subject was "boxing", I believe.

So no wonder she was hanging out in "Waters", the name of the bar on Washington Ave. N., a few doors north of Runyon's. It's called something else now.

We used to go in there regularly (way too regularly) after work from our printing office across the street) and Dr. Joyce popped in one afternoon. Nobody went over to talk to her, though. I think she just had a cup of coffee, as I vaguely recall. Nothing scandalous.

And neither "Mean Gene", the AWA (Vern Gagne's outfit) wrestling announcer, nor the Road Warriors happened to be there, that day.

April 27, 2009 9:17 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Some years earlier, like maybe 20, I was known to occasionally hang at Moby Dick's when it was still called the 620 Club, and famous for Turkey, I believe.

That was back when most of the nightlife downtown was pretty grungy, other than a single's bar across from Dayton's on Eighth Street whose name I can't recall right now.

I think I might have been in Moby's only once.

April 27, 2009 9:22 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Sure, Ray, sure! Mean Gene ruled!

April 28, 2009 11:40 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Mean Gene couldn't hold a candle to Wally Karbo who was the promoter prior to him (also partner with Gagne in the enterprise).

Karbo was on the short side (compared to his wrestlers who also may have stood on platforms when being interviewed by him and had a very high-pitched voice.

The wrestling in the ring was never half as good as the interviews and promos by Karbo (and also by Mean Gene)!

April 28, 2009 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page