April 23, 2009

Earth Day Regurgitated

Yesterday, Earth Day, was the pagan/prog/secularist high holy day. It was their most sacred day of their entire liturgical year. In fact, the local papers have even started printing 1/4 page Earth Day events calenders-just like they do for Easter and Christmas-so you can be sure not to miss your nearest Ent Gathering!

I sure hope you all greated folks with a prayer for a blessed Earth Day or finished a novena to the Mighty Oak! Maybe you planted a tree or cut a tree down that was blocking your picture window?

You didn't?

Well, if nothing else, I hope you took your trash out!

Angela and Terry stopped by to help me clean up my living room. I'm ashamed to call myself a Christian. But, honestly, I was so confused. On one hand, I wanted to and knew I needed to, discard or recycle the waste. On the other hand, I'm so afraid of landfills after this horrifying slide show presentation about landfills in Mexico contributing to global warming that I saw a few years ago that I figured the waste was better off in my house. How crazy is that? Yes, an intervention was needed and Angela and Terry are true friends. Problem is: now I have to clean! Oh, no, more chemicals unleashed!!!!!! ARRRGH!

The Church teaches that respect for the Earth is a part of being a Christian. However, the Church does NOT teach that the Earth is THE Deity to be worshipped. God gave the Earth to us as not only as life-sustenance, but also, a gift. I'm curious-still-how pro-choice folks who will go to the wall for the right to kill unborn life and throw it in the trash dumpster will have a nervous breakdown if I'm throwing too much unrecyclable household waste in the trash? I'm all for recycling and I recycle at my house but, uh, hello, how can you not see that taking away human life is not contributing to the quality of life on our planet anymore than recycling paint is? Bad analogy but there it is.

In a few weeks one of my favorite local parishes will substitute the Catholic liturgy for the 4th Sunday of Easter (3rd Sunday of Easter in the Traditional calender), for a made-up by liturgical and musical directors run amok, an Earth Sunday "liturgy" complete with a slide show, contemporary music, dramatic readings, a light show, trapeze artists, Al Gore, a bonfire of purification, a hot tub with sacred water, a lute, a rain stick, a choir. Hey, that was pretty good! Maybe I need to be a Liturgy Coordinator?

I'm being mildly sarcastic.

Again, allow me to reiterate: THE CHURCH TEACHES RESPECT FOR THE EARTH BUT NOT THAT THE EARTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE DUE WORSHIP OWED TO GOD. Translation: Do the liturgy for the Sunday as written!!! If Father wants to include respect for the Earth in the General Intercessions portion of the Mass-great! That's where it should be if it's in the Mass at all. Sure, plant a tree on Earth Day, take a moment to give thanks for the Earth. But, remember, always, who gave you the Earth in the first place. Give thanks to Him.

7 Comments:

Blogger Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Exactly God first

April 23, 2009 11:59 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I think you should start using kitty litter too.

April 23, 2009 12:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I read something very interesting recently- might have been in the Wanderer?- called "Who are we saving the earth for?" or something like that. There were 2 big points that stuck out in my mind- 1. (as you said) the Earth was given to man, not the other way around. Be good stewards of creation, but the planet is not an end in itself. 2. Our faith tells us that Christ will come again to judge the living and the dead- ergo, humanity will still exist on earth when He comes again. There is a finite end to the earth anyway, and God knows what it is.
How ironic that those who plead us to "save the earth for the sake of our children" are usually the ones who fear overpopulation and don't want kids anyway.

April 23, 2009 12:57 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Jesus came to save sinners, not the Earth.

PS...do you need any more plastic garbage bags for your empties?? Oh wait! - we can't use plastic! And you know something else - all those people that protest cutting down the rainforest...where do they think they got the wood and paper for their signs and what exactly do they think they wipe their b***s with????

April 23, 2009 2:59 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: ROFL!

April 23, 2009 9:15 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

All I know is that on my personaly most satisfying EarthDay, we accidently dropped a bunch of white phospohorous smmoke rounds onto a larg stant of (rare, possibly endageres) pitcher plants and into a woods with Red cockaded woodpeckers.

Ooooppppps

And to think it happened just before they closed that part of the range, eliminating thousands of acres of training land, for those plants and birds, that had been thriving there since 1918, specifically because people didn't go their because it was a range.

April 24, 2009 2:13 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Redneck: Yes, I can hear the contrition.

LOL!

April 24, 2009 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page