April 13, 2009

Brittle Joy

On Good Friday, I went to the vigil before the Highland Park St. Paul Planned Parenthood abortuary. Clayton was there and has photos. Ray was there as well and has posted some information.

A Deep Curtsy goes out to Archbishop John Nienstedt. I don't, EVER, remember any sitting Archbishop in this Archdiocese showing up at a pro-life vigil much less leading the crowd in prayer. Brian Gibson, of Pro-Life Action Ministries, credits the Archbishop's presence, to kick-off the Vigil, as a reason that so many turned out for life this year.

I think the reason so many turned out for life this year, besides the presence of a Leader, is the horror emanating from the White House. Have we finally seen people who were indifferent or "on the fence" to life realizing, that if they don't step up, life could be even further disrespected than it already is?

The "other side" did not have as many people this year as years past. Rather than congratulate ourselves for that, I think we should take a moment to realize that the forces of death are feeling complacent because "their man" is in the White House. Why should they show up? They've already seen documented evidence that the President is going to agree to just about any piece of pro-death legislation put in front of him.

Once again, everytime the other side cheered when a horn honked in solidarity with them, I felt like I was witnessing the crowds screaming: "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!" One misguided young woman yelled at me "I keep my baby in a jar" I turned around to point out to her that acknowledging it IS a baby is the first step toward realizing abortion is wrong. But, she ran away from me with "brittle" laughter. [Deep curtsy to Clayton for the word: "brittle". That's exactly what it is.]

Brittle because she knows it's not funny. I'm sure she has probably never had an abortion. She just yelled out what she did to heckle me. I pray that while these folks are heckling me they ask themselves who they are trying to convince? Me or themselves?

I already know the answer. Themselves.

I used to march on the other side of the line. I held up the signs (helpfully provided by Planned Parenthood). I even wanted to volunteer in that clinic once. I remember walking past the line of pro-life protesters thinking they were misguided wackos. I remember the guard holding the door for me when I went there for a volunteer interview. I never did volunteer there. It was not because I had a change of heart. Other things interfered.

I confused murder for liberation. I equated children and family with slavery.

The change started to happen for me when a friend miscarried for the second time. She was devastated. I remember comforting her. I also remember supporting a different friend who had two abortions. I even offered to drive her to one of the abortions. Another friend drove her so I wasn't needed. I wondered why one lost life was worthy of grief and the other was not. What was the difference?

The difference was: desire. If you wanted the group of cells than it was a baby, if you didn't, than it was a blob of meaningless tissue.

I started to wonder.

Reflection is a powerful thing. When we hold the mirror up to our own hearts who knows what can happen?

Reflection has stopped many from entering an abortuary or from going "thru with it".

There is not enough reflection these days. People don't think things thru to a conclusion much less a logical one. No one wants to think, just give me my feelings. There is little rationality. Don't talk to me about consequences or responsibility.

That said: feelings were the beginnings of serious reflection for me. If you can get people to admit the contradiction in their feelings, you may be able to lead them to a better conclusion.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mairin :o) said...

Bravo for being a witness for life and especially for stepping up and talking about being on the 'other side'.

I think that is the more powerful witness to those who might waver on 'choice'

Thanks!

April 13, 2009 3:49 PM  
Blogger Argent said...

God bless you for being there. Who knows how God may use your witness in that woman's change of heart?

April 13, 2009 4:50 PM  
Blogger Smiley said...

Good job, Please do pray for the pro choice crowd too casue Jesus died for them as well and I am sure He would love to see them in the Fathers house dont you think so?

April 14, 2009 8:30 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Smiley: Absolutely

April 14, 2009 12:50 PM  
Blogger 好文 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 06, 2010 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page