March 03, 2009

Saint Jude


Gentle Reader: Many of you know that I have had "challenges" with my current job. In particular, my boss and I do not always play nice together. It's a little bit her, it's a little bit me as the song goes...It's been known to get REALLY ugly. To add to my stress levels, the neighbors in the house next door are extreme partiers and loud even when they are not having a party. I go home from work to find peace and little can be found.

I have a regular devotion to St. Jude where I complain to him in general about my latest whining drama. Recently, however, one of my Confessors said: "You should pray for healing between your boss and you and your neighbors and you" I started doing that during prayers to the Saint asking for his kind intercession in these matters.

For a month now, my boss has been, shockingly, nice to me. To the point, where I've felt like asking her if she is terminally ill. LOL! You know me. In reponse, I've been decent to her and we've been getting along pretty well. So well, that I have not done any job hunting for several weeks now. The spell of niceness has occurred before and it's usually followed by more ugliness. But, it's NEVER lasted this long.

Last Thursday, we had a big snow storm and I arrived home after a 2 1/2 hour white-knuckle commute thinking I'd have to snowblow my sidewalk and driveway. To my astonishment, my sidewalk was already done. My "bad" neighbors had done it. I could tell by the track. I make a huge point out of stopping exactly at the end of my property and turning around so as to not do ANY of theirs as a sign of my disdain for them. But, I've been known to do my neighbors on the other side as a favor. For all my talk of being a good Christian, here people who claim to be personally spiritual but attend no organized denominational church, displayed a greater grasp of the third theological virtue than I do. I was deeply ashamed.

I had my chance to "pay it forward" on Saturday when one of their dogs got out of their yard. I saw him running around and it was a cold day. I called to him. He came and I noticed he'd been hurt. I cleaned his wound and wrapped him in a warm blanket and carried him next door. The neighbors thanked me and I was able to thank them for clearing my sidewalk. We may not be inviting each other over for dinner; and maybe things will never be totally fantastic; but olive branches were extended and received with gratitude and relief.

This weekend, I was pondering these reversals of fortune and it, suddenly, dawned on me that, if you thought Samuel was slow to hear the Lord, I'm even worse! It startled me to realize my prayers for healing had been answered!

Thank you St. Jude!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post made me think more than anything I've read in a while. And I have a doctorate in philosophy!

March 03, 2009 4:58 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I better start a novena to him right away.

March 03, 2009 5:00 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

I need his help, too!

March 03, 2009 5:18 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I like reading these kinds of posts!

March 03, 2009 7:25 PM  
OpenID owenswain said...

We all need the help of St. Jude, if we are honest.

March 03, 2009 7:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: What school? :-)

Hey everyone: Seriously, pray to St. Jude for his intercession.

March 03, 2009 9:10 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I started my novena already.

March 03, 2009 9:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ok, here's another NC (Newbie Catholic) question: how many novenas can you have going at once? I'm in the middle of one for an RCIA candidate. Is it kosher to start another, is this just an opportunity to spread this "Novena to St Jude for Cathy" thing out a bit.

Bede

March 03, 2009 9:46 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

That made me feel warm and tingly, Cathy. God Bless You, your boss and your neighbors.

I remember once I made a request to St. Jude and one of the conditions was that I was to leave a written note in a church to inspire someone else to make a request of him. I don't even recall what my own request was at that time.

I left the note in a Mpls parish on one of my "church shopping visits" in the pew in front of me but near the center aisle while I was scooched way over by the side aisle.

A young couple came later and out of the corner of my eye I noted that the man picked up the note, read it thoughtfully for a few minutes, and then put it in his pocket.

I felt real content that day that I had provided a lead to St. Jude for another of his wonderful miracles.

March 03, 2009 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Loved this!

March 04, 2009 7:49 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Bede: Great question! I did not ask everyone to start a Novena to St. Jude for me-just recommended people think about doing one if they want his intercession. St. Jude is the patron Saint of "Lost Causes" or "Desperate Cases" and I was at that point. Definitely.

There is nothing that says you can only pray one Novena at a time. However, for my own practice, I have trouble focusing if I'm doing more than one Novena at a time. But, if you can pray more than one Novena at a time-more power to ya!

Also, there is nothing that says you have to pray the Novena for a certain Feast only within 9 days prior to the Feast. For example: you do not have to limit a Novena to the Immaculate Conception to 9 days before December 8th. It can be prayed any time. Many use the Novena as a way to prepare themselves for the applicable Feast but it's not strictly necessary.

There is a list of Novenas here Not a comprehensive list but a start!

March 04, 2009 10:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Of course you didn't ASK, but if you're saying nice things about your boss, I want in on the action!

Thanks for the list of novenas!

Bede

March 04, 2009 11:09 AM  
Blogger 好文 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 06, 2010 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page