March 15, 2009

Location, Location, Location

Gentle Reader: Sorry, I've been scarce (I know my haters rejoiced but now I'm back to ruin your day!) but I've been really busy at work (things are still going well) and the looming crud finally caught up with me. I stayed home from work Friday and went to Urgent Care and got some antibiotics to clear up the ear infection that had developed. I'm tired and on a lot of cold meds. Surprisingly, not TOO cranky but you've been warned....heh-heh.

I know many of my readers participate in prayer vigils and sidewalk counseling outside of abortuaries. I've been Tweeting with Argent this week regarding the sad story of an abortuary near her home that appeared to close but really didn't. They now open only when there is a baby to kill. Thus, you can be sure that anytime you see someone approach the door, they will more than likely be coming out a few pounds lighter-physically.

I see this as a tactic by the abortuary to make the continuous vigil presence go away. Well, really, I'm not sure where their heads are at much less where their hearts are. I know people who assist with abortions fool themselves into believing they are doing a lot of good. Who can blame them? Who would want to face reality in a place like that? In a job like that? Can you imagine telling people what you do for a living? I'm an abortion doctor. I work the reception desk at an abortion clinic. I'm a nurse in abortion clinic. Great, pass the potatoes.

I've often pondered the location of abortion clinics. Those of you who have ever owned a business know that location is an important key to its success. Is it an accident that abortuaries are usually located in either:

* out of the way or disguised locations
* poor neighborhoods
* liberal neighborhoods

Locally, one of the most notorious abortuaries is the Planned Parenthood location in the Highland Park neighborhood of St. Paul. Highland Park is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city. It's also one of the most liberal. It votes, heavily, Democrat. Obama and Wellstone (their fallen hero) stickers are everywhere.

The pro-life movement opened a chapel next door-Praised Be Jesus Christ!

However, there is also a Dairy Queen next door. I always wonder who could swallow food in there if they knew or cared that only a few feet away a mother may be weeping uncontrollably as a baby is being vacuumed out of her body? Yes, I'll have a Peanut Buster Parfait-thanks. I wonder how the managers explain the vigil presence outside to their staff? I wonder who would want to work there? My first job was at a Dairy Queen. It was located in one of the toughest neigborhoods in Minneapolis. The only thing I had to ponder was how to get to the building without a pimp trying to recruit me or a dealer trying to sell me something. Seems tame compared to trying to get to sleep everynight knowing you are crossing a divide greater than any union picket line every day you go to work.

Or are the employees, who are probably high school age or slightly older, given justifications by their parents along the lines of "rights" and "choice" and "Ignore those religious wackos" Is it a source of pride to have this bastion to "choice" in your neighborhood: "Honey, I worked hard to give you a life in a safe neighborhood that also has it's own abortion clinic! I need to pick up some stuff at Lund's"

I drive by that clinic often. I vigil there often. It turns my stomach to see all the business in the area and life going on as "normal" in the midst of that citadel of abomination. I was heartened last weekend as I was heading to make a Holy Hour at a local Perpetual Adoration Chapel to see a man on a bicycle with pro-life posters heading south on Fairview Avenue. He had pro-life posters on his BIKE! Tell me that isn't green! I was sure he was heading toward the Planned Parenthood to vigil. Everywhere there is hope we can believe in and it isn't in the White House. It's in US.

If you have not yet made a commitment to life. Now is the moment. Now is the time.

I usually shop at the Petco in Highland Park. I've decided I'm not doing any business in Highland Park anymore. This stance is going to present challenges for me because the neighborhood is a convenient point for meeting up with my friends in Minneapolis but so be it. Inconvenient for me: yes. Chance of evangelization to explain why I will not do business in that neighborhood anymore: priceless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Argent said...

There are days I'm at the vigil to pray for the babies...be with them at their time of death. Sing "In Paradisum" for them. Let them know that someone in this world loved them. I hope to meet them someday.

This past week, I prayed for their parents. I grieved for some of them who strode into that place in such a casual way, like going to the gym or the hair salon.

I grieved for the parents driving up in their minivans with car seats in the back...thinking, "What are they doing? Children are an inheritance from God."

March 15, 2009 1:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Argent: Great idea to pray for the babies too.

March 15, 2009 1:59 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

It's hard to reconcile the Highland area as it is now with the way it was 50 or 60 years ago.

I am so uncomfortable whenever I visit I can't wait to leave. It's like being in enemy territory. Sad thing to have to say about where you grew up...

March 16, 2009 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page